Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About Canva’s Summer Internship Program
The Internship is a 12-week program that runs from the 28th of November to the 17th of February. As a Design Content Intern you’ll be learning how to use content to make an impact on our products, creating results that will truly benefit our users by making their life simpler.
We’ll pair you with a mentor and assign a buddy who will guide and ensure your success every step of the way, and of course, the rest of your teammates and Internship Program Coordinators will be there to support you, too. It’s a team effort!
You will be part of Canva’s AAGE award-winning Summer Internship Program and get the opportunity to build features and functionality that impacts millions of Canva users around the world.
How We Hire
We believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. So our hiring process is designed to get to know you and the magic you could bring to help us achieve our mission. It’s also designed for you to get to know us, too.
Throughout the process, we’ll share insights into the kind of work you’ll be doing at Canva and what it’s like working at Canva. Our hiring process may vary depending on the type of role you've applied for. You can generally expect a 3 step recruitment process.
About your responsibilities
- You’ll audit our team experiences, focusing on the language we use for key experiences including onboarding, sharing, and collaboration, particularly for mobile users.
- You’ll develop a deep understanding for our users, backed up by research and data, to best make recommendations.
- You’ll create a content framework from your audit that will support changes made to Canva to better simplify and align language moving forward.
- You’ll explore how our content differs on web vs mobile experiences and look for places where we may need to further align, or change, existing experiences.
- You’ll present your work to key partners for feedback and buy-in, ensuring the changes you identify match with long-term strategy.
- Are a penultimate-year student based in Australia (citizen, PR, international student), or New Zealand (citizen).
- Are ready to present a portfolio of personal projects and case studies from inside or outside the classroom showcasing proven content design or user experience with problem-solving orientation.
- Are able to articulate what makes a good product and why.
- Love writing simply, well-crafted content that resonates with people
- You're just as comfortable conceptualising over Zoom as you are in-person. You don’t mind a good online chat either.
- Have the ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision (what we build, not just how it looks).
- Have strong communication skills – you should be able to articulate your content decisions.
- Have the ability to give and receive constructive feedback on work.
- Are able to commit to the 12-week, full-time summer program from late November 2022 to late February 2023. We can provide some flexibility for dates that might overlap with university timelines.
- Please note that unfortunately, Canva does not sponsor immigration visas for internships at this time.
About the group and subspecialty
The Teams & Education group aims to empower every team design, from kindy to the workplace. We want to make Canva the tool that every team big and small wants to use to collaborate and communicate every day.
As a Content Designer intern joining the group, you’ll help us make Canva a simpler product for all our users. We’re looking for someone who is keen to understand our user needs, and use language as a driving force to create simpler experiences. You’ll partner with other designers to discover more about our users, then unlock value for them by unifying and simplifying language and experiences.
We’re looking to achieve this by building an amazing team with a culture of clear and crisp writing. Our focus is on systems, not just sentences. We create and improve flows, not just the words. We seek to have deep impact on key areas, not just shallow impact everywhere.
Content Design is a small and growing part of our Design specialty. Canva sees content as a key part of its ongoing success – and we’re really focused on improving our content experience. We have a fun, human voice that we want to do a better job of getting across to our users, instead of, you know, “generic UX writing” voice.
We’re passionate about working together to create the future of Content Design at Canva; it’s not a top-down approach. Your opinion matters! You’ll also get lots of support from the diverse content team across the business. As soon as you arrive, we’ll be saying “Thank goodness you’re here!”
The Content Design specialty collaborates closely with PMs, Designers, Engineers and Design Researchers to identify solutions that prioritize our users’ needs.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.