Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help innovators build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.
Who are we looking for?
As General Counsel, you will lead the legal and policy functions at Pinwheel. That means owning or advising on all legal matters from our commercial agreements to corporate governance as well as creating our broader legal strategy as a company. Furthermore, you’ll be working to shape Pinwheel’s policy standpoint and working with regulators to ensure we progress our efforts on consumer data rights. Day to day, you’ll be working cross-functionally with the sales, ops, finance, tech and product teams to move the company forward and fulfill our mission.
What will you be doing?
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial SaaS agreements, e.g., MSAs, supply/distribution agreements, licenses, professional services agreements and NDAs.
- Interpreting and providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, for all contracts, laws, and policy efforts.
- Advising senior management and internal business units on legal issues and risks, and exercising strategic business judgment.
- Broad corporate and transactional law experience, including extensive experience in M&A and securities deals and other corporate law matters.
- Experience with:
- Corporate governance matters, e.g. board resolutions and minutes
- Deal documents, e.g. merger agreements and disclosure schedules, stock purchase agreements, NVCA investment agreements, stockholders’ agreements, SEC offering documents
- Equity compensation matters, e.g., stock plans and Carta, employment offer letters & consulting agreements
- Intellectual property protection
- Privacy law compliance and product regulatory matters
- Working with and managing outside counsel
What experience, skills, and qualifications are necessary?
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with internal and external business clients and outside counsel.
- Ability to manage and analyze various aspects of complex and strategic commercial deals from inception to execution, including negotiation, drafting, and modification of deal terms.
- Ability to provide practical legal advice, and propose innovative, creative, and workable solutions.
- Ability to exercise judgment independently under tight timelines while prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced and engaging environment.
- Willingness to handle matters in and outside areas of expertise with a can-do, flexible attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small.
- JD from a top law school, and active member of the NY State Bar, in good standing.
- 6+ years experience.
- Experience leading complex M&A and securities transactions.
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - Our company is small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding the company culture and being a part of the entrepreneurial journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.