Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual
and learn more about how we work.
User Experience at Wealthsimple:
We're a close-knit UX team made up of Product Designers, Content Strategists and UX Researchers. We're embedded on product teams so that we can be involved with projects from the get-go and work really closely with other disciplines at every stage of the process. We work purposefully and think big when it comes to our growth as a team and individuals. It's important to us that we have a collaborative and supportive environment to work in every day. Our empathy for our users sets the bar really high for the products and experiences we create.
We’re looking for a Staff Product Designer to join our Design Systems Team!
Never heard of a Staff Designer? The role of Staff Designer is a level above Senior Designer in our Job Levels and equivalent to a Manager. Staff Designers do not typically have direct reports, though they may have formal 1:1 mentorship roles with others within their discipline. They are primarily focussed on executing project work as an individual contributor, leading design execution on priority projects within a single product/platform mandate.
This role will be focussed on evolving and scaling the internal design system & component library that power our products. You’ll work with a team of designers, content strategists, and front-end developers to create and ship the design system solutions that make up the back-bone of our simple, intuitive, and delightful user experiences. You’ll also be responsible for documentation & education on best practices, as well as advocating for the design system in the broader org.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is an expert practitioner in their design craft, with above average strengths in visual design, interaction design, and UI design
- Has a passion for systems oriented design work and exceptional attention to detail
- Has a strong understanding of accessibility standards and inclusive design practices
- Has demonstrable experience building and scaling design systems
- Can create the documentation and best practices that ensure successful adoption of their work
- Has a strong understanding of the engineering roles, tools, and processes required to build a design system
- Can actively mentor other designers, lead design reviews, and team roadmap planning
- Can successfully visualize and communicate ideas effectively to internal teams and stakeholders, ensuring others always understand the “why” behind design decisions
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Complete our company-wide onboarding program where you’ll meet and learn about all areas of our business
- Familiarize yourself with the product design process, leveraging tools and best practices in your own work
- Dive into the Design System by pairing with and shadowing other members of the team
- Lead internal presentations and effectively communicate rationale for design system changes
- Ship your first updates to the design system and guidelines
- Partner closely with the engineering team to QA work and troubleshoot edge-cases
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Gather feedback on the design system from the broader Product UX team and plan long-term improvements
- Work with engineering on the long-term objectives and key results for the design system
- Define and iterate upon our Figma component library
- Evolve and evangelize the processes for designers on product teams to contribute to the design system
- Effectively context switch between the highest priority projects and to-do’s
- Actively mentor others on the design team to help them grow in their craft
Within 12 months you’ll:
- Have a thorough understanding of every aspect of our design system and associated tooling
- Help develop a vision for how we successfully maintain and scale design systems in the future
- Actively participate in scaling the design systems team by sourcing and interviewing candidates
- Ensure the appropriate and effective use of the design system throughout the product ecosystem
- Raise the bar on the quality of the user experience Wealthsimple provides
If you’re excited to be part of Wealthsimple's mission and the impact we can have on the world, along with your resume, send us 1-2 case studies that demonstrate:
- Your experience working on design systems
- Your process, particularly how you collaborate with others co-creating and utilizing your design system
- The impact of your projects on the broader goals of the company
- What you learned