Computers are the most powerful tools to exist in the history of humanity. Today, only a relative few—professional software developers—can use this superpower to its fullest extent. This has created an unbalanced world where there are only programmers and those who consume their programs. Replit wants to change that dynamic by bringing the next billion software creators online.
Read more about how we operate here and about our business and how we’ll achieve our mission here. We recently raised our Series B, have 10M+ users who’ve created 20M+ apps, and are growing rapidly and globally. We’re backed by Coatue, Y Combinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and other top investors. We’re remote friendly (overlap with 10am-2pm pacific).
Come be the second (or third depending on whether this role or the other legal team posted role comes in first) lawyer at Replit. This is a fun, wide-ranging, zero-to-one role building a legal department and function, working closely across the company - engineering, growth, marketing, product, data, and others.
You’ll serve as primary legal advisor to various teams, supporting them on new products, services, and programs, from inception to launch. You’ll provide legal advice across a range of subjects, including intellectual property, privacy and data security. You’ll build, develop and manage the patent and trademark portfolios, and lead big meaty projects like developing and executing a strategy for what legal looks like for a company serving a billion coders and integrating with Web3.
And perk of a startup? There is an almost limitless array of opportunities to add value related to risk and managing risk, protecting our business value, IP and users’ data, and generally helping the business move faster but sustainably. This is a fun role where you’re guaranteed to learn and have an impact every single day. You’ll report to the GC and have the chance to build a team as needs grow and we scale.
- 5-10 years legal experienceIn-house experience ideally at a tech company - consumer, SaaS, or other kind of tech
- Prior experience managing outside counsel slate; knowing when to call for help and when to answer on your own (most of the time)
- You are already an outstanding lawyer. You want to become a great startup and venture-backed company lawyer; or you are already a great lawyer for a startup or scale-up company and want a meatier role at an earlier stage and hypergrowth company
- Sense of humor and commitment to professionalism and collegiality
- JD or equivalent and US state Bar and ability to practice law in-house
Valued but not required
- Top firm experience
- Prior startup experience
- BS in a technical discipline
- Experience managing or hiring other lawyers and building your own team
- Ability to code