Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team you’ll be joining
Canva would not exist without content. Our templates, photos, fonts, stock media and more play a critical role in empowering our users to design anything and publish anywhere. Our unique content library has far-reaching business impact and is a key driver of our user acquisition, retention and revenue.
The Content Strategy & Insights team’s mission is to build the most valuable content library in the world to inspire our users to create their next design. We work collaboratively across the Content & Discovery Supergroup, to identify & implement opportunities to drive user engagement through content.
We’re searching for an experienced Senior UX Researcher to help us shape the strategic direction of our content library, content user experience, search experience, and creator experience.
Your sphere of ownership covers:
- How our users find and interact with content on Canva
- The value of that content, including what would drive them to upgrade
- The role content plays (or could play) in increasing the use cases of our users
- The biggest opportunities to improve our content library, including gaps
What you’ll do
- Lead high-priority research projects for the Content Strategy & Insights team, to help us better understand our users (current and future), their needs and opportunities
- Apply a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods to analyze user or product data and distill this into written and visual reports.
- Define measurements of success for our content experience, and build out a regular research cadence to assess our product experience over time
- Activate your research, helping product teams apply insights through engaging presentations, workshops, and more
- Build relationships and closely collaborate with your project stakeholders, fellow C&D UX Researchers, and across the Supergroup
- Participate and contribute to our UX Research sub-specialty: own or contribute to special projects, provide feedback to fellow researchers, share your ideas for how we can improve
- Provide consultative guidance to PMs and Designers conducting their own research, within the C&D Supergroup (e.g. office hours)
- Be a champion for our users, and product experience: share your insights publicly across the company and inspire change that needs to be made to improve the Canva user experience.
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva
- The ideal candidate is a qualitative researcher with 5+ years of experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, executing, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- You have a solid understanding of primary research methodologies such as interviews, diary studies, participatory design, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and know when these are best used. Additionally, you combine these with data sources like product data, experiments, support tickets to understand user needs holistically.
- You can creatively flex research plans depending on team needs, understanding and clearly communicating trade-offs.
- Strong communication skills
- A bias for action, constantly striving to get things done. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires strong problem-solving skills and autonomy.
- A leader who can rally teams and cultures of all kinds, and influence peers across the organisation. You love building relationships that lead to team success and business growth.
We would love you to have, but not essential:
- Experience conducting research for B2B and B2C products
- Experience leading/coordinating international research across multiple cultures and continents.
- Appreciate art and have a ‘design eye’. Perhaps you were formerly a graphic designer, or take photography on the weekends.
- A degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.