The Freemium R&D team oversees the entire user journey on Spotify and ensures we engage with people in innovative ways, every step of the way. Our team grows Spotify’s audience by finding future listeners around the world and delivering the right value to them, at the right time. With research, product development, product design, engineering, and marketing all collaborating in one organization, we’re able to quickly create meaningful features and services for millions of people around the world, resulting in joyful, long-lasting relationships with Spotify.
We are looking for a Senior User Researcher to join the band at Spotify. We are a cross-functional group looking critically at how we can drive user growth through new products and experiences that fuel connections and curiosity in Spotify. Together with us you will study user behavior, shape and evaluate critical initiatives and test new features. Above all, your work will change the way the world discovers music.
We want someone who sees this intersection of product, marketing, and business as an exciting problem space. How should we balance the needs of our users with the needs of the business and the practicalities of what’s possible (or help reimagine what’s possible!)? Where is technology, audio and culture going and how can we authentically be part of it?
What You'll Do
- Define, plan, and conduct a mix of hands-on and vendor-driven foundational, generative and evaluative research that influences and drives the roadmap for key product initiatives
- Deliver high confidence insights that enable evidence-based decisions, shape strategies and develop hypotheses
- Build trusted relationships with design, product, engineering and marketing partners to drive impact from your research
- Develop and innovate on our mixed-methods user research practice
- Employ a wide range of storytelling techniques to communicate results and recommendations to product, design and engineering teams
- Participate in and contribute to the broader insights community at Spotify by sharing knowledge, expertise, mentoring and improving processes
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Human Computer Interaction, Social Sciences, Marketing, or similar fields
- A mixed methods researcher. An expert in multiple quantitative and qualitative user research methods and a variety of user research tools
- 5+ years of experience in a research role at a consumer-focused company. Experience in tech, entertainment/media, or online commerce a big plus!
- Are comfortable with ambiguous and unstructured questions and know how to break them down into actionable and concrete research work streams
- Have a people-focused mentality and will passionately advocate for the Spotify listeners
- Have experience of working with multidisciplinary teams including data and behavioral scientists, designers, marketers, engineers and product managers
- Know how to draw insights from multiple, diverse data streams and are able to synthesize quantitative and qualitative data
- You are committed to communicating insights in a compelling manner, employing storytelling to paint a picture, build understanding and inspire
- You are able to communicate insights and ideas to senior leadership, product managers, designers, engineers and other partners (in English)
Where You'll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location and is within working hours
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern/NY time zones for collaboration and ask that all be located in that time zone
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.
Global COVID and Vaccination Disclosure
Spotify is committed to safety and well-being of our employees, vendors and clients. We are following regional guidelines mandating vaccination and testing requirements, including those requiring vaccinations and testing for in-person roles and event attendance. For the US, we have mandated that all employees and contractors be fully vaccinated in order to work in our offices and externally with any third-parties. For all other locations, we strongly encourage our employees to get vaccinated and also follow local COVID and safety protocols.