GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub.
We are looking for a highly experienced and motivated Product Manager to join the Communities team at GitHub. Our mission is to increase developer happiness with a focus on improving the experience for open source contributors and maintainers and overall for communities on GitHub. Some of our projects include Discussions, GitHub Sponsors, Discoverability and the Feed, the GitHub Profile, New User Signup flow, and more!
In this role, you will work closely together with a passionate, collaborative and very diverse team. You will work together with user researchers, product designers and engineers to scope the user problems, design experiences and ship solutions that will impact millions of developers worldwide. Then, you will listen to user feedback and iterate. You will also have the opportunity to partner with our data team to design experiments and measure success of the features shipped.
A Day in the Life
Our team is distributed across the globe (with a larger percentage in North America) and we utilize Slack, Zoom, GitHub Issues and Google Docs to collaborate and communicate. In a given week you will:
- Collaborating with engineering, design, user research, data science, support, and other stakeholders (including the leadership team and sometimes entities like legal, international expansion, security, etc.) to understand the problems we want to solve, exploring how we can solve them
- Talking with users to discover what they love and what their pain points are and immerse yourself in user feedback
- Coordinating and communicating with partner team leads for planning purposes
- Discussing and collaboratively solving problems with your counterparts synchronously via Zoom or asynchronously via Slack and sometimes Issues, Discussions or Google Docs
- Working closely together with engineering teams and product designers to lay out a roadmap, prioritize it accordingly and determine the highest impact work a team should be doing at any point in time
- Own the product strategy for your area and understand the consequences across other areas on GitHub. Define the key customer pain points to be solved, and how GitHub will address these needs. Work together with stakeholders to ensure that your vision aligns with the vision of other related areas.
- Represent the customer. Be the champion and voice of customers in every conversation. Build direct relationships with customers and you will immerse yourself in customer feedback.
- Manage the roadmap. Ruthlessly prioritize for the short-term while helping the company think long-term. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Collaborate and build trust across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and domains at GitHub, across product, design, engineering, marketing, PR, legal and support.
- Use data to inform decision making. Analyze data for trends and potential customer pain points, and use this to prioritize and inform how to improve the product. Go back to the data when needed to answer questions.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your product and align them to department and business objectives. Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. The success measures should be visible to all stakeholders and you will be interpreting them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses to drive future work.
- Become an expert on the domain and trends in the space. Understand how digital communities thrive and how open source can further grow and succeed, and discover and develop new opportunities.
- 3-5+ years of engineering or product management, or equivalent experience with demonstrated ability to discover opportunities and define and deliver products.
- Strong technical abilities including experience with developer and/or community tools
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy and understanding
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication (including presentations to a large number of stakeholders and executives) as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills
- Intrinsic desire and motivation to have customer impact
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience executing initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Attention to detail, planning, and organization, both at an individual and at team level.
- Experience working across organizations with Engineering, Design, Marketing, Support, Legal, Finance.
- Previous experience with open source project development, use, and consumption.
- Previous experience with tools which support building, growing and maintaining communities who thrive
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.