Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy.
What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management.
What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:
- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans.We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.
- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C
, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero.
Carbon Direct is building software for companies and their customers to act against climate change. This means we’re looking for designers who are excited to work with a team of climate scientists to make thoughtful product decisions and execute on beautiful design.
As a designer, you’ll help:
- Design features end to end.
- Bring a new brand to life in-product.
- Spend time with our clients and scientists to navigate ambiguity in the climate space.
- Shape our design processes, guidelines and culture.
You might be a good fit for this role if you:
- Have experience designing products that grapple with complex ideas.
- Clearly spike in one avenue of your craft, be it visual polish, data visualization, or storytelling.
- Are excited to apply yourself to fighting the climate crisis.
All that aside, the best way to learn more about designing at Carbon Direct is to speak with us. We don't want to put you in a box with a generic job description. We believe in hiring driven, curious people who are excited to apply themselves to fighting the climate crisis.
- Design great products and user experiences
- You have a design portfolio that demonstrates experience applying design theory, best practices, and various techniques to deliver software platforms and/or products.
- You have experience independently conducting user research and gathering useful data to improve user-centric design outcomes.
- You take holistic ownership of the design process from strategy to screen. You are able to ideate, design, and implement high-quality solutions.
- You are familiar with modern design tools and efficiently use them to create assets, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and mockups.
- You regularly make and deploy superficial changes to frontend applications (e.g., copy, styling, layout adjustments).
- Support product development
- You have a user-first mindset, and constantly advocate for design-thinking that ensures the products we build solve real problems for real users.
- You take pragmatic decisions balancing between business outcomes, product wins, technical constraints, and design excellence.
- You primarily contribute to the team by owning the design process. But, you are not shy about working outside of your discipline to help the team succeed.
- Help us shape our design processes, guidelines and culture
- You have experience shaping design strategy and integrating design processes into a multidisciplinary team.
- You have led initiatives to maximize design output and productivity. You are able to help the business select design tools to improve efficiency.
- You invest in others, proactively sharing knowledge to help colleagues grow and participating in recruitment efforts to shape the team.
- You identify big-picture design challenges and coordinate solutions, empowering others to contribute and improve outcomes.
- Be a team player
- You are capable of effectively collaborating with colleagues from diverse professional backgrounds (e.g., science, tech, product, marketing, ...).
- You have a point of view but remain open-minded. You welcome diverse perspectives, and encourage others to generate and explore new ideas.
- You learn forever and nurture those around you. You role-model by inviting and freely giving well-intentioned, constructive feedback.
- 7+ years of experience in UX design.
- You have mastery of design and prototyping tools (e.g., Figma).
- You have extensive experience with web development languages (e.g., HTML, CSS).
- You can articulate advanced product design concepts and principles to non-experts.
- You can autonomously conduct user research and produce high-quality, relevant data.
- You are an excellent communicator and cross-functional team builder.
- You build strong relationships while working with a fully-remote, global team.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, outcome-oriented professional environment.
- Passion for addressing climate change is critical.
- Experience building new products and platforms is a strong plus.
- Experience working in the climate technology space is a strong plus.
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.