Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
As a Product Owner, you own the product vision, strategy, roadmap and metrics for Hubdoc’s Business Intelligence (BI) product team. You and your peers in engineering will deeply understand the data landscape of Xero and Hubdoc, internal customers' needs, and translate that understanding into compelling products and services that solve real problems.
You will specifically own the data platform related to the Hubdoc product. Supporting product, go-to-market, and finance teams with the data, insights, and context they need to be successful. You’ll be an advocate for Responsible Data Use, a promoter of Hubdoc data insights, critical in supporting the BI engineering team in agile delivery, and socialize a clear vision for the future of BI in Hubdoc.
Success looks like
We think great product chops means competence in three key themes - strategy, delivery and stakeholder management.
Strategy - You love crafting product strategy, including cultivating the voice of the customer, forming a long term product vision, building a rolling roadmap to deliver that vision, and identifying the right key results to evaluate whether you are on track. Importantly, you don’t do this alone: you cultivate a culture where engineers and designers obsess over customers and ideate through solutions alongside you.
Delivery - You are the hammer, constantly thinking ahead to the next slice of value you can deliver to customers and leveraging best agile practices to translate those slices into clear and precise user stories and epics that your engineering peers can turn into software. You are also the janitor, flagging issues, documenting decisions and doing everything that is needed so that your team can focus on shipping software for customers (Thank you Mat Balez for two of our favourite metaphors).
Stakeholder Management - You thrive when pulling together stakeholders across the business - for insight, collaboration and communication. You lead through influence and credibility instead of through authority. And you can roll with folks on both the go-to-market and technical sides of the house and speak knowledgeably about the issues that matter to them. You use these skills to help bridge the gap between strategy and delivery and make sure you are always shipping the right things.
Skills and Experience (Strategy)
- Proven Product Ownership experience — with a toolbox of modern product discovery practices to draw upon.
- Proven experience championing strategic priorities and helping others relate to and align with it.
- Ideally, proven experience using a range of metrics to monitor the success and health of products and services. Proven experience of making evidence-based decisions.
Skills and Experience (Delivery)
- Proven experience working with agile teams to continuously ship customer value, on an innovative project, at scale.
- Proven experience leading a team through influence and persuasion, without formal authority; and communicating meaningful direction.A solid track record of addressing customer needs.
- Ideally, proven experience connecting teams closer with customers (and not just be a proxy for them).
- Proven ability to create clarity for a team — with an organized work style that is structured, rigorous and consistent.
- Experience applying structured prioritization methods to competing courses of work.
Skills and Experience (Stakeholder management)
- Excellent stakeholder management skills. Proven experience building meaningful, collaborative relationships across all levels of the business.
- Proven experience advocating for/evangelizing a product or service with customers and stakeholders.
What we offer you
At Xero, we want to support you, so you can do the best work of your lives. Here are some highlights of the benefits we offer (a fulsome package is shared during the phone screen interview):
Health and wellness - We provide health and dental coverage from your first day, as well as running an internal wellness program.
Competitive compensation - You can look forward to a competitive salary, including regular equity grants of our public stock and RRSP matching.
Learning & development - Every employee has a yearly budget for courses, seminars, or general development items. Own your growth - we’ll help you get there.
Flexible working - We’re 100% remote at the moment with the plan to return to our #beautiful office when possible in a hybrid fashion. We’re flexible with hours and working models. Talk to us about your preferred working arrangement.
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc, an automated data capture platform and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.