Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
Product Marketing at Xero is in an exciting and high growth phase. We work closely with Product and Customer teams across the business to bring a holistic view of customer needs to Product, and translate product initiatives into customer value. We do this so that we deliver maximum product value to customers as efficiently & effectively as possible.
In this role, you will be the regional product marketing lead for Canada focused on aligning Xero’s product strategy, positioning, and go-to-market approach with the needs of identified target audiences (e.g., accountants and bookkeepers, small businesses). As the custodian of Xero’s holistic proposition in Canada, you will be accountable for positioning Xero’s overall product sets to new and existing Xero partners, which includes clearly articulating the value that they deliver. You will be responsible for helping inform and deliver the Canadian product strategy by understanding the market, competitive landscape, and needs of priority customer segments.
You will be responsible for driving the adoption and usage of this product set by working closely with regional go-to-market leads, including marketing, sales, and partner services teams to achieve the product and commercial targets. You will also identify future opportunities to deliver differentiated value and work with Product and Customer teams (global and regional) to build and launch new value to the market.
You will report into the Senior Product Marketing Manager, Americas who will help you shape your strategy and product within the broader regional product and customer strategy.
What you’ll do
- You will be a key driver in assessing market opportunity and developing the regional Customer Value Proposition (CVP) for target audiences
- Collaborate with Strategy, Product Management, Design, and other stakeholders to undertake market, competitor, and customer analysis to identify growth opportunities for Xero in Canada and help develop a multi-year product strategy to realize this opportunity.
- Determine the target audience and segments, in particular the Serviceable Available Market, using insights from Product and Customer teams.
- Synthesize target customer profiles, capturing nuances such as their needs, pain points, and product use cases. Provide input into the Product roadmaps by identifying how target segments intersect with the Canadian product strategy
- Consolidate and communicate relevant insights which determine Xero’s opportunity in the market. You should integrate these insights into your product marketing plans.
- Lead a strategic and collaborative process with key stakeholders to define the CVP for target audiences in Canada
- Bring CVPs to life for internal teams, through assets such as messaging frameworks and product playbooks, to ensure Xero’s proposition resonates and is compelling for target customer audiences
- Ensure CVPs are regularly reviewed and updated, in line with changes to customer, competitors and product
- You will be the primary Product Marketing representative to the Canadian Go-To-Market team, and the primary voice of the Canadian customer for global Product teams. You will help guide and launch product development to ensure we release features that meet the needs of consumers, while also helping inform go-to-market execution within Canada
- Synthesize insights on target customers and customers into internal briefing assets to be used by both global Product and regional Go-To-Market teams to serve as an underlying resource to inform strategy through to execution.
- Work effectively with diverse, cross-functional teams who are spread across different countries and functions. Strategically influence teams, including senior leadership, to help advocate and create progress for the needs of Canadian users and customers
- Collaborate with Customer teams to brief new or improve existing product messaging relevant to the Canadian market. Act as the ‘voice’ of the Canadian customer by highlighting pain points, needs, and how products can add value to customers.
- Consult on optimal launch timing and GTM approach, and help inform the GTM process to ensure clear guardrails are set when communicating product value externally
- Consult regional Go-To-Market teams, including key partners like Marketing and Sales, to ensure Xero’s product and value is communicated in clear, human terms
- Develop internal sales enablement resources for regional Go-To-Market teams to realize the commercial opportunity by helping sales and partner services teams understand, identify, and use messaging that resonates with target customers
- You will demonstrate strong leadership
- Mentor Product teams on how to productise, price, position and take products to the Canadian market.
- Lead through influence, building rapport with senior stakeholders to get buy-in and ensure your objectives are prioritized in go-to-market plans and key programs of work.
- Champion Product Marketing within Product and across the business
Success looks like
- Strong working relationships with stakeholders and internal networks that are built on trust and confidence. You’ll be effective at managing and influencing senior stakeholders (General Manager level), knowing how to get buy-in to achieve specific outcomes.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills. You will be part of a geographically dispersed team so collaborating and communicating regularly with stakeholders across geographies is crucial to your success.
- You can engage and lead cross-functional teams to achieve a specific outcome, providing adequate guidance and support along the way.
- You are a creative problem solver and solution-focused. You will independently tackle and manage complex and ambiguous problems, and develop a recommended path forward before escalating, if required.
- A solid understanding of go-to-market processes at Xero. New products, features and experiences will be taken to market effectively, by collaborating with Product and Customer stakeholders.
- You have deep subject matter expertise for products in the region – including market, customer and product knowledge – and are recognised as the ‘go-to’ expert for stakeholder enquiries.
- Clear, concise and compelling customer value propositions in market, which bring together multiple products and experiences in a holistic user workflow. You have an unwavering focus on the customer and advocate for cross-portfolio work where relevant.
- Customer teams understand the value of all your strategy, and have the tools, support and resources they need to deliver a great customer experience, and to help grow product adoption, usage and retention.
- You are a data-driven strategist with strong analytical skills. You develop insight-led annual product marketing plans for your target audiences
- You continually educate and champion Product Marketing across the business, and work to become a strategic partner of global Product teams and regional Go-To-Market teams
- You are an autonomous and proactive worker who can independently lead programs and self-prioritize workload with minimal guidance required.
- You are an active contributor to team culture and engagement, as well as the wider team and purpose.
What you’ll bring with you
- Creative problem solver who is confident in managing pace and ambiguity
- Passionate collaborator who thrives on regularly connecting and rallying cross-functional teams to work in unison towards a shared cause both regionally and globally
- Highly commercial, data-driven marketer with demonstrated experience building product strategies and go-to-market plans based on customer and data insights
- Strategist with a bias to action - able to think big and curate effective game plans, while excited to help execute on those initiatives
- Customer obsession - ability to understand the needs and pain points of target customer groups, and develop product briefs or internal assets that capture these insights
- Excellent written, visual and verbal communicator. Able to understand and translate complex concepts effectively to different audiences and across all levels of a regional and global organization.
- Confidence and ability to influence diverse stakeholders through effective communication, including comfort managing strategic discussions with senior leadership
- Ability to build strong working relationships that allow you to influence stakeholders whilst still having fun everyday
- Experience in a product marketing, consulting, or marketing role (SaaS experience an advantage)
- Demonstrated experience in supporting development of product strategy and building new customer value propositions to develop and launch new products or features
- Proven experience in the creation and development of product strategy, positioning and messaging
- Proven experience leading go-to-market campaigns collaborating with key teams like Marketing or Sales
- Proven ability to communicate, build strong relationships and manage senior stakeholders
- Proven ability to influence outcomes at all levels from individual contributor to executive level leader
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc, an automated data capture platform, and TaxCycle and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business.