We're seeking a product manager with an interest in B2B SaaS, content management systems (CMS), and building technology for enterprise content creators. In this role, you'll help WordPress VIP improve our core CMS platform and see features through from customer discovery to analyzing the results of your team's efforts after launch.
WordPress VIP is the content platform for enterprises. We believe the most successful companies in the digital world leverage content to drive growth. The WordPress VIP team provides consulting, support, hosting, training, and other services to some of the biggest and best WordPress sites for clients like Time Inc., Facebook, Microsoft, News Corp, FiveThirtyEight, The New York Times, and hundreds more.
Our company is completely distributed, so we work from anywhere we can find a good broadband connection. We value a healthy work-life balance. You can pick your kid up from soccer practice or alter your working hours to take a class, no sweat. For more about our culture, check out our team page.
Most of the product team is located near the US/Eastern time zone. Even though we operate on a distributed/asynchronous model, we like to have timezone overlap for face-to-face (video) collaboration and pairing. If you can regularly make meetings between 11am and 4pm US/Eastern, you're in a workable timezone for us. Much of our team is US-based, but we'll also consider other timezone-aligned locations in North America and South America (e.g. Canada, Mexico) for this role.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with engineers, designers and customers to identify, test, and iterate on features that make choosing WordPress VIP a no-brainer for enterprise content teams.
- Effectively communicate with business and product team members to drive alignment and motivate smart people to do their best work.
- Talk to our customers to understand their most pressing problems and disseminate those insights to the product team and beyond.
- Use qualitative and quantitative measures to inform product development and determine whether your solutions are solving the problem.
- Collaborate with execs and engineering directors to define product strategy and vision.
Who you are
- Outcome-oriented. You know your job does not end once a feature has shipped. You measure the success of your work based on results.
- Customer-obsessed. You have empathy for customer needs and a desire to serve those needs through technology.
- Iteratively-inclined. You know how to break down a problem or project into small pieces, test assumptions, and ship solutions incrementally and thoughtfully.
- Market-curious. You like to learn about the content creation market, from CMSes to plugins. You have opinions on the market and where it’s headed.
- Bonus points if you’re familiar with WordPress and open source technologies.
In the first three months, expect to:
Fully support a product pod, working collaboratively with peers to validate and iterate on one of our bets for 2022.
Ship features with your team that deliver high business impact.
- Articulate a position on a customer need outside of your existing pod.
Continuously improve the team’s processes through meaningful contributions.
WordPress VIP is part of the enterprise division at Automattic. Here are a few notable benefits for Automatticans:
- Remote-first. Work from home or anywhere else in our industry-leading fully distributed team. We’ve been "remote-first" since our founding! Here’s an interview with WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg on the topic of remote-first.
- Time off. Our open vacation policy (no set number of days per year) is designed to help you to be at your best! There is no minimum or maximum, but we encourage you to take at least 25 days of time off per year.
- Health care. Automattic pays 100% of plan premiums for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and eligible dependents.
- 401K. 100% match on your contributions up to 6% of annual earnings. You’re eligible to participate in Automattic’s 401(k) plan on your first day of employment. Match is fully vested from day one.
- Parental leave. Open parental leave (including maternity, paternity, LGBTQ+, and adoption for all parents). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave up to 6 months is fully paid.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Please include answers to these questions in your cover letter.
- Include a 1-3 paragraph intro to why you're interested in this role. Let us know what part of the position interests you.
- If available, provide a link to a relevant project you worked on, white paper you drafted, presentation you gave, blog post you published, or anything else you think is relevant for this role.
What to expect after you apply
We recognize that interviewing can be a long and stressful process, and that your time is valuable. Here’s what you can expect after you apply.
- If we decide to move forward with your application, you’ll receive an email from someone at Automattic inviting you to fill out a quick survey.
- If we decide to move forward after the survey, the hiring manager will reach out for an interview. Plan on chatting for an hour over a video conference.
- Next, you would meet for 1:1 calls with two additional members of the hiring committee.
- The final step is a short take-home test. You will be compensated for this work.
- After that, we’ll let you know what our final decision is, and if we’re making an offer or moving on with other candidates.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.