The Petal mission
Petal’s mission is to expand access to opportunity by making responsible, modern financial services available to everyone. Founded in 2016, Petal provides technology-enabled credit cards to consumers who are historically underserved by mainstream providers.
Petal pioneered automated cash flow underwriting, a transformative new approach to assessing consumer creditworthiness with the potential to expand access to tens of millions of U.S. consumers without credit history, or for whom traditional credit scores do not tell the whole story. Petal pairs this groundbreaking, data-driven underwriting technology with a mobile-first, digitally native product experience designed to help users manage and build credit responsibly. For Petal, it’s a mission as much as it is a business—with a goal to reimagine finance for the next generation of consumers.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
The Product Manager role
Petal uses data and technology in new ways to gain a full picture of an applicant’s financial profile and an accurate view of their creditworthiness. Because of the work done on this team, Petal is able to achieve our mission of building credit among the 70+ million people who don’t have access.
Core to our promise of modern responsible credit, Petal gives our members the tools that allow them to make smart choices that fit their personal finances and empower them with a convenient way to pay for their needs.
As a Product Manager, you’ll be leading a development team in improving our product experience every day. You will work with a talented cross-functional group from Engineering, Design, Analytics, Marketing, Operations, Capital Markets, Legal and others to find opportunities to expand access to credit and make our members more successful with our credit card offerings. This is a high visibility role that is key to furthering our mission of building the future of modern responsible credit.
- Dive into vast amounts of member feedback, data analytics and user research to uncover areas of opportunity to improve the product offering. Be an expert on our users and provide that perspective throughout the process.
- Work with the product development team and stakeholders throughout the company to prioritize the most important opportunities on your roadmap.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Analytics and others to define the product improvements that accomplish those opportunities. Work closely with Operations, Compliance, Finance, Capital Markets, Engineering and others to identify the important constraints that need to be taken into account. Create simple and effective solutions that delightfully meet our users’ needs and fit our business.
- Lead large cross-functional teams towards making those improvements a reality. Keep the project moving forward on the right path. See around corners to identify potential problems early and address them quickly.
- Focus on results. Analyze outcomes post-launch to identify how the changes perform compared to expectations. Celebrate the wins and learn from the misses to drive further iteration.
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- 2-4 years of Product Management experience. You’ve launched many product improvements of increasing complexity and learned from each of them. You have a deep understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- Excellent collaboration skills. You foster an environment where your peers feel comfortable sharing information freely and working jointly on solutions. Your clear articulation of the needed context helps team members see how their work fits into the bigger picture. Seek out others input, listen closely to stakeholders and draw out key points.
- Eager and able to dive into data. You have frequently used quantitative and qualitative data to identify product opportunities and shape the solutions pursued.
- Strong technical fluency. You are comfortable with technical conversations around data, 3rd party integrations and technical architectures. You serve as a thought partner to engineering around technical tradeoffs.
- Strong interest in the Petal mission and culture!
Nice to haves:
- Experience with SQL or Looker (or similar programs) for data analysis.
- Experience and interest in data science and machine learning can be helpful on some projects
- Experience creating delightful user experiences can be helpful on some projects
- Familiarity with credit cards or lending
Petal is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. We’re proud to be different, together.
For our California employment information privacy statement, please click here.