Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
The Heritage Systems group is responsible for making sustainably excellent engineering easier for Xero’s technical heritage. We achieve this goal by supporting teams to confidently approach our existing legacy codebases and enable them to support, modernise and evolve functionality they own.
How you’ll make an impact
You’ll provide a product lens over a project of technical work that horizontally spans most of the Xero customer experience, working with multiple product groups from conception to launch, to deliver the change to allow translated Xero content to be released to customers. While this is a project, you’ll provide a key Product Management mindset and approach.
You will work with the Head of Engineering Delivery to determine a cohesive strategy for rolling out internationalisation and modernisation across our global fleet of products which share a common customer base, and ensuring we get timely and meaningful feedback from our customers. You will ensure that supporting functions within Xero have what they need to support this initiative.
You will be responsible for guiding other product teams and Product Managers through the planning and execution cycles, focusing specifically on analysing, positioning, promoting and tailoring roadmaps for the existing product teams who will be internationalising and modernising their respective applications.
What you’ll do
- Build, maintain and refine a project strategy and vision that spans across multiple product portfolios for the application modernisation project.
- Communicate direction transparently.
- Work closely with other Product Managers from the wider business to collaborate on application modernisation work.
- Establish partnerships as necessary to drive the adoption of application modernisation across Xero
- Assist with product marketing initiatives and sales or training events by providing specialist product knowledge and advice as required.
- Be the project's point of contact for anything product-related for internal teams such as customer experience, production support, training, documentation, and sales support as they are affected by releases of the application modernisation project.
- Engage closely with the Engineering and Design teams to collaborate on a great outcome for Xero and our customers for the Application Modernisation project.
- Engage closely with Engineering and Design to lead customer engagement and feedback cycles for the project.
- Effectively manage the direct reports of your teams, if any, in terms of recruitment, performance reviews, training and development.
What success looks like:
- Demonstrated experience building new product value propositions to develop and launch new products or features. (Use or understanding of Strategyzer framework an advantage)
- Experience working in agile environment with Product Managers and development teams
- Confidence in working through ambiguity and creating new experiences - this role involves future thinking and exploring new spaces
- Highly commercial, data driven marketer with demonstrated experience building cross-sell and product lifecycle strategies based on customer and data insights
- Ability to build strong business relationships, internally and externally, that allow you to challenge and influence stakeholders whilst still having fun everyday
- 7+ years in a product marketing or marketing role
What success looks like:
- Your direct reports are effectively managed and supported. Their performance is reviewed regularly and feedback is continually provided in a timely manner
- There is opportunity for your direct reports to grow at Xero through a clear career path, and there is minimal attrition within your team
- Empower, challenge and grow team capability. Ensure the right people are solving the right problems and their skills are continuously being developed through new learnings and experiences.
- Your peer Product Managers understand your vision and your product roadmap, and have matching and agreeing roadmaps as relevant to their product
- Product Development
- Your team are delivering software with a strong cadence, according to your product roadmap.
- You consider technical investment to be included in the product roadmap, and your teams are actively contributing to the product’s and project’s architectural vision.
- You are working with the Programme Coordinator to report on the delivery and status of the app modernisations project and product vision you have created.
- Our environment, practice & the way we work
- Your team’s product practices are continuously evaluated and improved on to ensure we are always delivering value to customers.
- Cross team dependencies across shared product lines are effectively coordinated and managed through your great relationships with other Product Owners and Product Managers.
- You are continually working with the Head of Delivery Manager, Programme Manager and Coordinators, and your peers in the leadership team to ensure the product roadmap is on track
What you’ll bring with you:
- Excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills
- Able to work closely with technical and non-technical users in parallel
- Passion for helping people fulfil their potential
- Open and effective communication style
- Love for delivering quality software that customers love
- Builds effective relationships across all levels of the business
- Authentic leadership
- Diplomacy and drive
- Outcomes and delivery focused
- Experience owning Product direction in a SaaS company
- Demonstrated experience in people leadership
- A proven track record as a Product Manager/Owner, able to follow Agile Scrum methodologies is preferred.
- A solid track record of addressing customer needs through innovative use of technology
- Experience with stakeholder management and coordination across the wider business would be an advantage
- Extensive experience working with software development projects at scale
Why you should become a Xero
Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and change are not only inspired but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine what reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely.