WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Nearly every company in the world today runs on custom, internal software.(Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage!) This is the software that helps employees operate the business: refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, viewing transactions, providing customer support, and much more. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—expensive, scarce resources usually needed elsewhere.
Retool has set out to radically rethink how this custom internal software is built. We’ve created a new type of development environment, combining visual, drag-and-drop manipulation with code-based customization. It seamlessly integrates with nearly any data source and enables instant deployment to end-users. It’s a force multiplier for developers building internal tools, dramatically faster and easier than writing software from scratch.
We’ve made great progress so far: today, thousands of companies use Retool to create the internal software that powers their businesses, from small startups to Fortune 500 companies. We’re growing quickly and have assembled an incredible set of investors, including Sequoia and the founders of GitHub, Stripe, Plaid, Gusto, PagerDuty, Segment, and Y Combinator.
On the design team at Retool, our charge is to build the tool that builds the tools. This affords us incredible leverage: our design decisions will affect millions of people, from the developers creating software to the teams who operate it. Instead of designing just one product, we’re effectively designing software products for every company in the world.
This also presents a unique design challenge: because one can build nearly anything in Retool, we don’t have absolute control over how our users experience the product. We’re constantly seeking just the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
If you’re excited about building tools, fascinated by how people use and create software, and inspired to radically rethink what software development will look like in the future, we’d love to hear from you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
To keep up with our fast-paced growth, we’re looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our expanding design team. You’ll help to define Retool’s vision, product strategy, and user experience—driving the product design lifecycle from end-to-end. In close collaboration with engineering, you’ll break down technically complex problems and shape them into elegant, novel solutions that are discoverable, learnable, and powerful. And as an early member of the design team, you’ll have great influence in shaping our processes, objectives, culture, and growth.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
As a product designer, you’ll be working closely with a diverse team of designers and engineers, while collaborating with support, success, sales, and marketing to draw out insights and see products through to market. Customers come first at Retool, so you’ll regularly interact with our users to understand their problems and ensure that we are shipping usable, impactful, and delightful features.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Own and drive the complete product design lifecycle of major features for Retool
- Partner with growth, support, success, sales, and marketing to understand business objectives and uncover customer insights
- Perform user research to identify problems and validate solutions
- Partner closely with engineers to define product objectives, understand technical constraints, and ideate on solutions
- Produce the artifacts needed—specs, sketches, wireframes, mockups, prototypes, or code—to take UI ideas from conception to production
- Participate in design reviews and share your work regularly with cross-functional team and company leadership
- Contribute to Retool’s design system and component library
- Help establish design team processes and uphold high standards for design and product quality at Retool
YOU MAY BE A FIT FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU:
- Have a strong portfolio demonstrating generalist design skills and experience driving the product design lifecycle from end-to-end
- Are excited about breaking down technically complex problems into abstractions, finding a balance between ease of use, learnability, and power
- Love thinking systematically about hard problems with a lot of tradeoffs—then going deep on getting the details right through rapid, continual iteration
- Are customer-obsessed and excited to spend time with users
- Have experience designing developer-centric products, creative software, and/or enterprise internal tools
- Are an excellent communicator(and consider writing to be a fundamental design skill)
- Thrive in ambiguity, can independently prioritize work based on user needs and business goals, and take responsibility to drive product ideas forward
- Are inspired to radically rethink how software is developed