At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage their EBT benefits, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. We recently expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
Our product designers create experiences that improve our users’ day-to-day lives by crafting more certainty, optimizing resources available, and making every financial decision easier. To do this, you’ll work closely with design team members and cross-functional teams at every stage of the product development process; from ideation and concept to strategy, UX, research, and delivery to users. You’ll also help generate new features and continuously improve our product based on user research and analytics. Candidates should be comfortable with using digital design software (Figma, Sketch, etc) and have experience working on consumer mobile apps or digital products.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- A chance to create a real impact on our growing team as well as the 5+ million users who rely on the content you’ll be designing
- A fun, caring, get-stuff-done culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote-first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $125,000 - $145,000, depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with marketers, content designers, product managers, user researchers, data analysts, and engineers to:
- Explore and deliver new ways to bring value for users of the Providers app
- Iterate on new and existing experiences with an emphasis on impact and engagement
- Lead individual product and feature directions from conceptualization to completion
- Take a user-centered approach to rapidly test and iterate on your designs
- Ensure consistency across features, define accessible design patterns, and contribute to our design system as our products scale
- Communicate scenarios, end-to-end user journeys, interaction design, and screen designs to stakeholders and collaborators
What you have:
- 3-5 years of design experience - we’re open to your design background. If you’ve been a brand, visual, or graphic designer in the past and are ready to focus your design eye on product and business, we want to hear from you!
- A portfolio showcasing a foundation in typography, interaction and visual design, product sense, and idea generation. To be considered for this role, a portfolio is required with application submission. If your portfolio is password protected, please include the password.
- Experience collaborating with a diverse team in a high-growth environment. Huge plus if you’ve worked with remote teammates and understand the communication patterns of working with distributed teams
- Comfortable performing core product design skills: user flows, UI design, prototyping, interaction design, and information architecture
- The ability to think in systems, extrapolate, and extend shared patterns and behaviors
- Bonus skills: proven track record of leading ambiguously defined projects, user research, visual design, familiarity with analytics, and gleaning insights from data