SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCT DESIGNER (MERCHANDISING)
The merchandising product designer is responsible for the development and creation of merchandise assets at SpaceX such as mission patches, soft goods, and other products. This is a hands-on role – taking the initiative to identify needs in our product line-up while achieving buy-in from others. This role will work closely with our engineering teams and cross-functional departments to deliver products and designs that meet customer needs.
- Collaborate with the merchandise team to create consistent product roadmaps, using key company milestones and employee buy-in to help inform design strategy.
- Develop and produce graphics, typography, and layouts for apparel, social, web, and print.
- Own the product creation process from initial design to production hand off, ensuring new products meet required calendar dates, margin targets, and product objectives.
- Responsible for the design and creation of all company mission patches, working closely with Mission Management to understand the complexities of each mission and provide multiple file types for varying use cases.
- Manage product libraries including material, color, fit, and TOP samples. Work with the merchandise specialist to keep thorough record of tech packs, BOMs, fit charts, color standards, and fabric specifications.
- Manage product related photoshoots and graphic design needs.
- Manage product sample process and day-to-day vendor relationships, including requesting prototypes, reviewing samples, providing feedback, and adhering to deadlines.
- Manage sourcing of new product vendors including promotional houses and cut & sew facilities, as needed to bring ideas to fruition.
- Develop and execute fit standards, run product fit sessions, and communicate fit updates to vendors and applicable parties.
- Establish and implement product quality standards, coordinating with our vendors and stakeholders to maintain overall product integrity throughout the production process.
- Effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Prepare designs for final production, including, but not limited to, printer and vendor specs.
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related artistic field.
- 1+ years of experience working in graphic design.
- Experience using graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite (including, but not limited to InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Impressive design portfolio.
- 5+ years of experience in graphic design.
- Advanced knowledge using graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite (including, but not limited to InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator).
- Proven track record of establishing a network of vendors; track record of developing or managing merchandising and/or licensing agreements.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and possess a proven ability to thrive under deadline pressure and to execute on a number of projects simultaneously.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented team environment.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written, strong cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Strong presentation skills, proven ability to influence in front of accounts/vendors.
- Demonstrated track record of successful design and integration, and the delivery of projects on time and within the given budget.
- Exceptional design aesthetic and experience working with a fashion/apparel brand preferred.
- Experience retouching images for both digital and print.
- Knowledgeable about creative trends influencing design in general, and in fashion/athletics/performance arenas.
- Strong conceptual abilities and a high attention to detail.
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.