Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
At Xero, we’re here to make running a business beautiful. By making small businesses more efficient every day, connecting them with big business technology and empowering a community behind them, their potential is limitless. When that happens, we’re not only helping small businesses, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
About the role
Xero Product Designers are responsible for designing beautiful, enabling and meaningful experiences that solve genuine customer problems. As a Product Designer you’ll work on small-medium scale projects within a product area of a portfolio and contribute to larger scale projects as part of a team.
What you will do
- Design Practice and Thinking.
Work with your Design Manager and more senior product designers to understand the Product Design vision and direction and build your design practice, focusing on consistency and quality of execution within your product design delivery.
- Promote the value of design and collaborative practice across spheres of influence and participation
- Conduct desk research including domain and competitor analysis, interaction/design trends and 'best of' examples
- Analyse relevant considerations such as research insights, product strategy and roadmaps, technical environment and constraints
- Contribute to the definition and articulation of ‘the problem’
- Create simple frameworks such as wireframes low/high-fi, visual frameworks, which articulate the components, journeys and elements required to solve 'the problem'
- Explore ideal future concepts that meet customer needs in the best possible way
- Work with others to develop phased design solutions that bridge the gap between a future state and current patterns, XUI design system and other relevant constraints and considerations
- Create prototypes which tangibly demonstrate a proposed concept or solution
- Collaborate with other designers to test ideas, share challenges, seek feedback and build quality in your practice
- Collaborate with content designers to ensure content within an experience is consistent, 'fit for purpose' and meets customer needs
- Develop detailed interactions and interfaces which are smart and contextually relevant
- Present and communicate design work to a range of different audiences
- Create effective handover materials which clearly communicate how the design should look and behave throughout interaction flows and journeys (e.g. User flow diagrams, design specifications, experience/interaction specifications etc)
Design research and testing
Contribute to identifying research opportunities, planning and undertaking research and testing relevant to your product area.
- Participate in generative user research to understand customer underlying goals, needs, behaviours and pain points (where necessary)
- Participate in the synthesis of research data, drawing out and articulation of insights
- Participate in user testing
Develop effective cross functional relationships and build influence
- Participate in cross functional team workshops
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure proposed solutions balance user needs, business strategy and technical constraints
- Collaborate with development teams during sprints to provide design QA and problem solve issues as they arise
What you’ll bring with you
- Track record of delivering quality design experiences
- Track record of solving customers' problems through design
- Excellent communication skills
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- Skill and experience across the design process from uncovering customer needs and pain points, to executing elegant interfaces
Want to hear more from our design team? Click here
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.