We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products.
We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Design Systems Team
Our mission in the Design System team is to help designers and developers deliver beautiful products quickly and consistently to our users. We provide tools, components and more which are used to create the products and sites within Canva’s ecosystem. We’re a new and fast growing team within Canva with plenty of room for newcomers to join and help define the future of our team.
About the candidate
We are looking for someone who can solve complex problems with a systematic approach in a fast-paced environment. Working within a cross-functional team you’ll be collaborating and communicating with stakeholders across the company to deliver sweeping changes which have large scale impact on our internal teams as well as the end user.
Goals you'll achieve
- You'll collaborate with teams to implement company-wide initiatives such as accessibility and theming
- You'll work with the team to establish patterns for how our UI components are built and maintained
- You'll identify opportunities for the future direction of the design system
- Improve designer and developer efficiency by updating or unifying existing components and creating new ones
- Own widespread design system changes from setting the vision through to delivery and communicating updates to the broader team
- Collaborate with teams to prioritize requirements for upcoming component updates
- Conduct user interviews with designers and developers to figure out the most important things to work on
- Share knowledge of the design system through articles, documentation and presentations
- Improve processes and develop trust in the design system
Experience you'll have
- You're a product designer who has designed solutions for complex software projects, prior design systems experience is a huge plus.
- Whilst you don't need to code, you'll be working very closely with engineers so ideally you'll have strong engineering literacy with an understanding of foundational web technologies (HTML, CSS and JS) ideally with some working knowledge of modern web technologies (React.JS)
- You're organized and have keen attention to detail, particularly as it relates to systems design and large-scale design systems.
- You'll have the ability to solve complex problems with an analytical, systematic and scalable approach.
- You'll be able to work flexibly and independently. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
- You have an understanding of what drives a successful platform and can balance the trade-offs between meeting the needs of all customers within the platform.
- You have a portfolio with strong demonstrated experience in developing new UI components and interactions to form a robust design system.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new components and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating components and systemising things that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big-picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.