We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Design School team
At Canva we’re making design simple and accessible to everyone, empowering people all over the world with a design tool – and the design skills – to help them reach their goals.
Canva Design School offers free design courses, featuring some of the world’s leading experts in their respective fields. Our vision for Design School is to become the best place in the world to learn design, and to offer the best online learning experience possible.
Our Design School team has a wide range of all-round skills. They’re designers, teachers, facilitators, creatives and doers. They facilitate in-person and in-product learning and continuously grow their skills and our courses along with our product and content library.
Above all else, Design School aims to make the complex simple, taking big broad topics and making them applicable, engaging and accessible to everyone. Our team has the ability to take a complex thing and communicate it simply with visuals. All the while, making sure our users learn.
We’re looking for an experienced Product Designer to help us create Canva's new Design School site, an online hub that offers free design courses, featuring some of the world’s leading experts in their respective fields.
You’ll be working closely with the wider Design Education team to re-build and scale Design School, defining and delivering the end-to-end experience for our educational platform. Our vision for Design School is to become the best place in the world to learn design and to offer the best online learning experience possible.
Goals you'll achieve:
- You'll conduct an audit of the existing Design School and work with researchers to understand our users and identify opportunities to improve the experience based on user insights and business strategies
- You'll be responsible for defining and executing on an entirely new experience for Design School
- You'll partner with the Product Manager and Engineer to design and ship new features
Experience you'll have
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You may have experience working on EdTech Products with and an understanding of learning journeys and how to facilitate learning outcomes through simple and effective design OR experience designing simple experiences content-heavy platforms
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.