Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design specialty is to ‘show the future’. As designers, we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary – by visualising and reinventing the future of design for our users.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution.
Our product designers conduct research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaborating with our engineers to ship phenomenal products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, data analysis, wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Design Automation team
The Design Automation team is on a mission to make Canva the fastest and easiest design tool in the world! We are part of a larger group, tasked with looking after the overall editing experience on every device.
We’re motivated to create ‘magical’ experiences for users and to do this well we need to deeply understand who we’re designing for. As such, data science and user research is a huge part of our team’s focus.
Much of our work is exploratory and forward-thinking – and our focus is not limited to a specific set of features or a particular product area. Our insights and discoveries often lead us to pursue projects that support other teams and groups. Curiosity, communication and collaboration are therefore critical to our team’s success.
We are looking for someone who can solve complex problems with a systematic approach in a fast-paced environment. Working within a cross-functional team you’ll be collaborating to deliver new products that will have a large-scale impact on Canva and end-users.
What You’ll Do
- Your key focus will be striving for an easier and faster design experience, through smart defaults and automation. You’ll be a key driver to help achieve our vision to make Canva the easiest design tool in the world!
- You’ll investigate the problem space of how we move Canva from a social media marketers tool to the platform that small businesses, classrooms and larger organisations use for their work.
- You’ll conduct user interviews to continuously learn about our diverse users – to improve Canva as we know it, but also to find new ways to add magic to the editing experience.
- As the team's main source of user insights, you'll be responsible for making sure everyone understands our users. You’ll regularly and passionately share quotes, insights and findings from your research back into the team, as well as the larger product group.
- You’ll collaborate with other team members on new, exploratory ideas at a low fidelity level.
- You’ll create high-fidelity, functional design prototypes to test with users and communicate new features to the team.
- You’ll join forces with the other designers in the larger group to create simple solutions that solve not only for your immediate areas of focus, but also align with the overarching design system and long-term goals of other teams.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your track record of shipping simple, elegant solutions to complex problems, resulting in positive outcomes for users.
- A deep understanding of user research methodology, and a demonstrably empathetic approach to design.
- A creative problem solver that shows passion in the face of complex or ambiguous problems.
- Experience demonstrating successful collaboration with engineers, product managers, data analysts and other teams.
- An excellent sense of design ethics – with an understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, every day.
- A confident presenter that can rally the team around a new project and communicate the goals and new concepts to team members.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.