Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, reaching over 200 million subscribers in more than 190 countries and territories around the world. We entertain the world at a massive scale. For example, our subscribers spend five billion hours a quarter watching our shows and account for a third of the downstream Internet traffic. All this global entertainment is powered by a $15+ billion content budget that encompasses an extraordinarily diverse set of shows.
At the heart of the scaled work is the Studio XD team. We’re building a suite of products that help scale the Studio’s operations. From choosing the best stories to produce, taking a title live, to building the world’s deepest catalog of information about films, series, games, and more. As part of the Studio XD design team, you will be designing products that power the future of the studio from pitch to play.
Although Netflix is an established company, in many ways we still act like a startup. The organization is flat, process is minimal, individual responsibility is big, and there is an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out of the everyday decision process. We endeavor to stay nimble and make decisions quickly.
About the team
We work in one of the most complex areas of the business. We own end to end workflows that power connections and collaborations between industry experts inside and outside the business. Each of us has a broad set of UX skills ranging from product thinking to interaction design, user research to visual communication. We work in close collaboration with Product, Engineering, and Consumer Insights partners to build groundbreaking innovations for the people inside and outside of our Studio that help Netflix choose, produce, and deliver captivating stories for our members around the world.
About the role
As a Product Design Manager in the Studio Production space, you will lead a team of stunning designers—each dedicated to leading a unique and challenging part of the studio management process. Your team will help answer questions like: How might we help the world’s largest studio plan and orchestrate production for hundreds of shows a year? How might we change and influence workflows in an industry with a century of expertise, practices, lingo? How might we help emerging markets learn the best practices of producing incredible stories? You will partner with other design, product, engineering, and key studio business leaders to develop strategies across the product areas owned by the designers on your team.
You measure success in terms of both human and business impact. As a leader, you foster excellence through collaboration and encourage an inclusive and open environment which makes space for diverse viewpoints and working styles. You are an excellent advocate, evangelist, and listener. You are comfortable directly engaging stakeholders, customers, and users alike.
You have recruited and managed effective product design teams with experience building both consumer and enterprise software. You set a high bar for execution, communication, and the responsibility of your team members. You know how to work cross-functionally with multiple teams, as well as make your ideas and data clear to get everyone on the same page.
You seek and offer candid and constructive feedback, and lean into conflict with curiosity, humility, and a willingness to understand. You have a strong focus on usability and efficiency, and strive to simplify complex problems. At the same time, you are able to bring inspiration and co-create compelling visions to an enterprise software space. With every new release, your team leads the charge towards more effective, more impactful services.
The Must Haves:
- 4+ years managing a Design team of 4 or more designers
- 8+ years as a Product Designer
- The ability to form consensus across a broad, fast-moving organization
- A history of mentoring strong designers and contributing to the design community
- A deep sense of accountability, fostering a high degree of responsibility within your team
- An inclusive approach to building and leading a distributed team with global perspectives
- Understanding of complex workflows designed to scale across diverse, global operations teams
- Experience working in continuous delivery environments where the pace is fast and a focus on execution is critical
- Experience contributing to and consuming component-based design systems
- Excellent communication skills
- A willingness to fail and learn
- A passion for entertainment, filmmaking, and storytelling
The Nice to Haves:
- Deep experience in leading design for enterprise software
- Working knowledge of the production process for films, series, and animation
- Experience partnering with cross-functional executives and business partners