Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 2,800 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Creators Group
Since Canva’s founding, our template library has been a critical and fundamental driver of our success. Fundamental to making design accessible to the world is giving people everywhere a springboard with which to create designs from. Templates are that springboard.
Templates provide inspiration to users, help them visualise what's possible and provide an approachable starting point for our users to get creative. In fact, templates are the way the majority of our users create designs so the templates teams are helping millions of people each week.
Historically, Canva’s templates have been designed by a talented team of internal graphic designers. But last year we launched Canva Creators, a platform that allows anyone to publish their templates and earn money every time they’re used. We believe Canva Creators has the potential to take Canva to the next level of scale, and we want you to be central to that growth.
About the role
In this role, you'll collaborate with our founders, Product, Engineer and Group Leads, with the Researchers, Product and Content Designers, and some talented front-end and back-end engineers, to shape, drive and support the team to implement the Creators vision with fidelity. You’ll enable our Creators to have the best experience when creating, publishing, and being paid for templates—helping people all over the world to earn a living through design on Canva.
You'll guide the processes for how the team works—helping the team set roadmaps and strategies for the future. You'll also need to ensure all the Creators Product Designers are supported and doing the best work.
This is an amazing opportunity to lead and grow a talented Product Design team in an environment that rewards initiative, creativity, and independence
What you’ll do
- You'll work collaboratively to create and champion the design vision for the Canva Creator's product
- You'll lead Product Design projects across Canva Creators
- You'll collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to make sure you’re prioritizing the most important features
- You'll clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders and Founders
- You'll plan for future design resourcing needs with the Head of Design in your Supergroup
- You'll help provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision, strategy
- You'll provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills
- You'll research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practices, UX design inspiration, user and business insights
- You'll ensure our designers always design to our high standards of simplicity and usability
- You'll produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices
- You'll support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement
- You'll help to provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision and strategy, especially while going through periods of ambiguity or roadblocks
- You'll ensure the culture of two-way continuous feedback, offering a direct, open and objective communication style
- You'll help other Product Designers to grow and develop their abilities through thoughtful and effective coaching
- You'll celebrate the contribution of self and others
Experience you’ll need
- Experience as a Product Design Lead directing strategy and design across a team
- Extensive experience communicating with senior stakeholders
- Strong design coaching experience - you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing and motivating other designers.
- A track-record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions. You hold a high-bar for designing clean, elegant, and usable designs.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Extensive experience working with Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- Experience working with Brand Designers, Graphic Designers and a strong empathy for graphic design and its impact on business results.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, everyday.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Goals you'll achieve
- Get to know our customers and Canva’s users—conduct initial research to get to understand the Creators and their creation process, along with our review team, and their review process. Deliver a product audit that considers the experience from a user and Creator perspective
- Get to know your team—understand each team member’s strengths, the work they’re currently undertaking, and the future plans for their development. Deliver a plan for building your team over the next 6 months in line with product growth
- Support and lead your designers in contributing to Autumn planning and beyond, creating a compelling Vision Deck to showcase the future of Creators each season
- Implement the new Canva Product Delivery Process, we’re keen to implement a new and improved process for getting high-quality product over the line. In your group, take ownership of leading design processes alongside the Engineering and Product leads, to ensure that all our product is shipped in line with the new standards.
- Define the process for how product designers within the Creators group work to deliver a cohesive and delightful journey across all touchpoints. This includes having a documented process for designers to follow for both iterative product improvements as well as big end to end projects. Additionally work external teams, such as Community and Education, to educate them on when and how to engage with product design.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home) coming together for 8 days a year.
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.