Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Role and Product:
Xero Product Designers are responsible for designing beautiful, enabling and meaningful experiences that solve genuine customer problems. As a Product Designer you’ll work on small-medium scale projects within a product area of a portfolio and contribute to larger scale projects as part of a team.
Xero Tax lets you manage tax preparation, lodgement and compliance tasks for all their accounting or bookkeeping clients, including those not on Xero. You will help to push the user experience of Xero Tax into the future where tax “just happens” and support its users along the journey, to improve the lives of thousands of customers.
The product team:
The Tax team you will be partnering with are experienced and have deep domain knowledge. They understand the value the tax product brings to Xero, and it’s ability to bring new users to the platform. They are pragmatic, deal with real deadlines, but have an exciting long term vision for the Tax product and want to continue their successful partnership with design & research to make this happen.
The Xero Design team:
In the Xero Design team you'll spend time with Xeros from all across the business to best understand how we can keep maturing and unifying the Xero experience, supporting a co-ownership model and quality implementations of our design system. You'll work with over 160 designers across the globe to dive into research, create amazing user experiences, and help to build tooling and documentation.
Who we're looking for:
We're looking for a mid level designer who will champion the voice of design & research, but also be strategic, pragmatic and patient with the give & take nature of product design.
As a Product Designer you’ll need to be a self starter, partnering with product and engineering peers on large scale initiatives, and handle those relationships. You’ll champion consistent, quality user experiences that scale across Xero Tax. Strong visual design skills are a must, as well as the ability to interpret and push what can be done within our Design systemsframework.
What you'll do:
- Promote the value of design and collaborative practice across spheres of influence and participation
- Display strong visual design skills to complement your existing processes and problem solving so you can successfully interpret and grow the XUI design system
- Dive headfirst into research, working with our established team to identify and communicate findings horizontally across all teams.
- Contribute to the definition and articulation of ‘the problem’ – challenging assumptions and 'pre-set' thinking around solutions, agreeing the purpose, principles and vision
- Create frameworks (read wireframes low/high-fi, visual frameworks, content/data models etc) which articulate the components, journeys and elements required to solve 'the problem'
- Explore ideal future concepts and identify new interaction solutions and patterns that meet customer needs in a better way
- Develop phased design solutions that bridge the gap between a future state and current patterns, XUI design system and other relevant constraints and considerations
- Create prototypes which tangibly demonstrate a proposed concept or solution
What you'll bring with you:
- Demonstrated design ability with a focus on interaction and visual design.
- Demonstrated discovery skills and understanding of UX methodologies
- A passion for quality critique and fostering design uplift
- Strong interpersonal skills, relationship building & stakeholder management skills
- A self starter, showing initiative and good work management skills
- Curiosity and a willingness to lean into a complex domain and problems
- Pragmatic and experienced with the give & take nature of product design
- Patience to play the long game, and drive the vision
- Able to support junior members of the team, and share their knowledge and experience.
To be considered for this role all applicants MUST submit a portfolio that demonstrates high-quality work, contributing to user experience and business value at the time of their application.
If your portfolio is password protected please be sure to include your password in your application.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.