Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for a strategic product designer to lead and create new experiences in academic content acquisition. Over 20M students and educators seek resources from our content library all aggregated by users’ uploads. We are working on launching next gen AI tools to transform studying into a seamless experience with smarter upload tech. Students and educators will immediately find all the relevant resources they need all within their own document.
Here are some ways you'll make an impact:
- Contribute to our Document Acquisition (Doc Acq) team's vision and strategy acquiring demanded content and help students get unstuck in learning
- Act as a strategic partner to Product Managers to break down complex, ambiguous problems into sophisticated solutions, and partner closely with engineers to build and deliver high-quality digital products
- Partner with our User Research team to understand students’ study behavior, and demonstrate qualitative and quantitative data to build thoughtful experiences that meet both user & business needs
- Design end-to-end user experiences through collaborative brainstorming, user journeys, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and polished visual design comps using Figma or other tools
- Build interactions across various media including web, mobile, and email, and develop working prototypes to demonstrate your ideas & concepts
- Present work and communicate design decisions to partners with confidence and clarity to capture feedback, iterate on and refine design solutions
- Iterate on your products post-launch based on insights on how they are performing in the real world
- Encourage and grow our teammates by serving as a mentor and helping the team deliver designs of the highest quality
- Help evangelize human-centered design approaches all over the company
Are you our next Lead Product Designer?
- 8+ years of demonstrated ability in a leading individual contributor role crafting cross-channel user experiences across desktop web, mobile web, mobile apps, and other channels such as email
- Several years of consumer / B2C design experience. This should include experience launching habit-forming products that customers love. Bonus points if you are familiar with design for multi-sided marketplace products and user-generated content. Share your expertise including your visual design acuity through your outstanding portfolio
- Consider yourself a strategic & creative systems problem solver - able to understand a complex system, able to turn sophisticated consumer problems into simple and engaging products, able to think strategically about business problems, and invent UX concepts to solve them. Able to present the rationale for design decisions, including in the process of winnowing down a list of concepts and deciding which elements belong in the final design to support specific use cases.
- Pride yourself in being a hands-on designer - comfortable with all phases of the design process from high-level concepts down to the smallest UI details.
- Feel proficient working in a fast-paced agile environment and collaborating with other designers, product managers, engineers, UX researchers, data analysts, customer support teams, marketers, and more.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of iterating on products post-launch based on user data about how the designs are performing.
- Enjoy excellent communication skills & an effective leadership style with entrepreneurial candor, and a growth mentality.
- Passion for education and social impact mission
- Experience designing complex, nuanced products powered by Machine Learning
- Technically proficient and experienced in building advanced interactive prototypes
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
This role is eligible for hire in the San Francisco Bay Area (US), Vancouver (Canada), and Toronto (Canada).
In accordance with California law, the base salary for this role if filled within California is $201,000- $273,000.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company.We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate, confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!