We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Product Management at Canva
The mission of Product Managers at Canva is to create the most accessible design tool for every person in the world. We believe that we can improve the world by empowering everyone to design and communicate visually. As a Product Manager at Canva you help set this vision, define what that future looks like, and build the products and features that get us there. Product Managers collaborate with Canva’s founders to set the strategic direction, scope, and success metrics for product initiatives. We work across teams of designers, software engineers, marketers and analysts to ensure we're delivering an exceptional experience to all our users. We are responsible for implementing and collaborating on product strategy, road mapping, and prioritisation as our product grows. It’s our responsibility to see products through their entire lifecycle—from concept through to validation, build, post-launch analytics and iterations.
About the team
The Marketing Platform Group has the mission to empower everyone at Canva to deliver unique and personalized experiences to billions of humans.It is a new group (set up in December 2020) that has been created to double down on the processes and systems that enable those in the broader Marketing organisation to sustain Canva's hyper-growth by delivering on projects including:
Launching machine learning based personalisation across multiple channels
Building a highly scalable, in-house marketing platform
Automating workflows and campaign creation across all channels to enable global expansion into all markets
Evolving our experimentation framework to empower rapid experimentation across the Marketing organisation
Ensuring we can measure and account for every dollar spent on Marketing campaigns
Building a robust and fault tolerant multi-channel communications system
Canva is ramping up its Marketing investment to make us a household name across the world - expanding our Marketing into new channels and markets. To ensure that we are sustainably scaling our Marketing in line with business objectives, we need a world class MarTech stack - which is where you come in!
- As a Group Product Lead, you will be a key part of the leadership team for the newly formed Marketing Platform Group (set up in December 2020). This will involve partnering closely with Engineering, Operations, Marketing, and Data leads.
- The product vision and strategies you develop will solve problems that deliver a huge impact across the business.
- Your roadmap will encompass innovative "big bets" that will deliver step-change growth for Canva.
- It will be your responsibility to set the product strategy, and oversee the execution on highly complex, green-field projects which venture into new domains for the business.
- Develop and own the vision, strategy and roadmap for the future of MarTech at Canva.
- What capabilities are key to a successful marketing org that is operating on this scale?
- Where will we be buying off the shelf and where will we be investing our team to build in-house solutions?
- Serve as the domain expert on MarTech at Canva.
- You will have a deep understanding of the MarTech landscape and know where the biggest opportunities are.
- You’ll come up with solutions to hard questions like ‘In a privacy first world how does Canva deliver personalised marketing experiences and attribute marketing spend on a huge scale?’
- Lead a product organisation to partner with passionate, cross-functional teams of engineers, marketers and data specialists to execute this roadmap and deliver these new capabilities to our Marketing organisation
- Build relationships with key stakeholders across the business including, Marketing Leadership, Legal and Privacy, Security Leads and Data Leadership to ensure alignment across centralised efforts
- Develop a product hiring plan alongside the rest of the Marketing Leadership to ensure we scale out the team in a way that sets us up to reach our exponentially increasing goals.
- Onboard, mentor and develop the Product Managers in the marketing Platform group, identifying and developing emerging leaders within the group
- Foster a culture of communication, bridging the communication gap between teams, specialities, groups, and company leadership in order to understand the impact and feasibility of strategy goals within the group
- Coordinating and communicating across various specialties and parts of the business to understand the impact and feasibility of strategy goals within the group
- Ensure the Marketing Platform group is constantly working towards delivering on the group strategy and vision by continuously assessing current and future business needs
- Own the goal planning and refinement process for the Marketing Platform group, including quarterly and annual planning
- Drive delivery of large, cross team and cross group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion
- Set crazy big goals for your teams, and regularly hit them!
- 7+ years as a Product Manager of a Marketing Technology product - having built an in-house platform is a huge plus
- 3+ years of group leadership experience leading teams of teams - global experience preferable
- Experience managing multiple high performing teams, through managing managers, that is guided by company or specialty missions, goals, and strategies
- Someone who enjoys leading a team of amazing people to ship innovative solutions - and can point to an impressive record of doing soInvested in working with Product Managers on growth and development opportunities to help further their skillset and grow into new roles, with an ability to deliver relevant and timely feedback (positive & constructive) to help them to continuously improve and learn
- Very strong technical knowledge and understands the trade-offs between shipping today and building scalable solutions for the future.
- Can be ruthless in prioritising with this mindset
- Knows the MarTech landscape deeply and can see the next big opportunity to enable Canva to reach our goals.
- You have experience in making considered tradeoffs, particularly around "Build vs Buy", evaluating potential third party systems to integrate and working out where we should be investing in-house to meet Canva's business needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different specialities (engineering, data, design, operations), and with different professional and personal needs
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of internal stakeholders, and identify opportunities to empower them to do their best work
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and product values.
Goals you'll achieve in your first 3 months
- Onboard to Canva and become familiar with the existing MarTech landscape; what capabilities are we investing in, what are we buying and building and why
- Gain context on Canva’s 2022 Marketing Goals - channel, campaign and market investments
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders across Product, Marketing, Operations, Data, Legal and Security
- Present a detailed overview of the current landscape of Marketing Platform, along with recommendations for strategic direction
- Develop hiring and organisational plan for the Product speciality in Marketing Platform, in line with the overall Marketing Platform organisational plan
Goals you'll achieve in your 3-12 months
- Build out the Marketing Platform PM team, working with the Engineering, Data and Operations leads to build a high-performing PM team
- Establish high-bandwidth feedback loops between all key Marketing Platform stakeholders and customers within Canva reporting on key feature development and progress against company objectives
- Develop a long term Product roadmap for Marketing Platform ensuring we are set up to scale into emerging markets and channels harnessing the latest technologies
- Drive progress against our existing goals, working closely with the Marketing Leads and existing Marketing Platform teams
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.