Talent is everywhere, opportunity is not. Sora Union changes that.
Sora Union is a professional services company specializing in design and localization projects for businesses, organizations and governments. The Sora Union team is globally-distributed and made up of diverse and talented professionals impacted by or at-risk of displacement due to conflict or climate change.
We’re looking for someone who loves both design leadership and hands-on design work, and is excited to contribute to the culture and philosophy of an early stage distributed company.
We’re only able to accomplish all of this with the right combination of process and people. And that’s where you come in.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Work with internal teams to understand product requirements and create detailed design specifications.
- Create wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity designs for web and mobile products [Hands On].
- Evaluate existing designs and make recommendations for improvements.
- Stay up-to-date on latest industry trends and incorporate them into designs.
- You’ll be involved in all stages of the product design process – from initial strategy, through to conceptualization, high-fidelity, building prototypes & delivery.
- Create a vision and design direction for your projects and create clear goals for the team.
- Determine how to allocate team members and resources to meet schedules, goals, and objectives through crafting project plans.
- Be comfortable with independently prioritizing activities in alignment with project/client/company goals.
- Create a cross-cultural environment that supports everyone's potential.
- Building trusted relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
IDEALLY, YOU’LL HAVE:
- 6+ years of experience managing or leading design teams as a team manager for entry-level direct reports.
- Strong portfolio of work demonstrating creative problem solving and UX-UI experience (Logo & Branding, Mobile & Web Design, User Experience and User Interface).
- Understanding of the Design Basics (Principal of visual perception, Foundations of visual design, Typography and Colors).
- User Centered Design Principles & Methods (Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test).
- Proficiency with various design software collaboration tools including Figma (MUST).
- Prior experience managing stakeholder relationships.
- Prior experience managing a distributed team.
- Effective communicator via distributed team collaboration tools such as video calls, Google Apps, Slack, Dropbox, Jira or Monday, remote whiteboarding and other software used to get work done when not physically together.
- A minimum of B2 English language proficiency.
- You are an expert collaborator. You’re a team player who can work just as effectively with your design team peers as you can with clients, or colleagues in product or engineering.
The Design Manager role is a full-time, 6 month contract position initially reporting to our Design Director, with a direct working relationship with the engineering leader at the client the team is embedded with. This role is a distributed position, and can be based in any location.
Sora Union operates independently in association with All Turtles. We work with a variety of partners and clients, some inside the All Turtles product studio as well as external companies. We expect to convert this role to full-time employment on the Sora Union team at the end of the initial 6 month contracting term.
Sora Union is committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.