Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
About the role:
As Head of Content Design at Roblox, you'll define, build, and lead a content design team for our entire suite of user-facing products and experiences. You will oversee the end-to-end content strategy, content design, and UX writing process, working collaboratively with product managers, researchers, data scientists and engineers to define immersive platform level experiences.
You'll work across the company to understand our content design needs, define a vision, craft narratives, establish processes, create the foundation for how content design works, evangelize the discipline and educate your partners, build a team of writers, and deliver UX writing work that drastically improves our player and creator experiences. You'll guide the team, nurture talent, and lead with transparency to foster a collaborative culture of design excellence.
Reporting to the VP of Design, this is a high visibility role where you'll make an impact that sparks imagination and enables players around the world to enjoy incredible experiences on Roblox at a time of sustained growth for our business.
- Build, hire, lead, mentor, and manage a content design team, establishing an essential discipline at Roblox
- Define the vision for content and UX writing for our company, from the ground up
- Craft cohesive and compelling product narratives that communicate that vision – for multiple platforms and audiences
- Establish net new processes, systems, frameworks, patterns, guidelines, templates, and resources to establish and run a content strategy team, such as a cohesive writing style guide, a unified voice for all platforms, an ontology of user-facing nomenclature, and a well-integrated content management practice
- Get close to cross-functional partners across product areas to socialize, evangelize, and educate them on the value of UX writing and content design. Understand their opportunities, and get their buy-in and support
- Drive the development and execution of the work itself – UX writing and content design for product concepts and platform experiences that are highly complex and totally unique
- Leverage the content craft to make the Roblox experience feel, intuitive, simple, powerful, inspiring, engaging, empowering, and safe for all user types, including players, parents, and creators
- Help ensure our products and features are valuable, understandable, and easy to use, drastically increasing our quality bar for craft and execution
- Define how we work – drive team collaboration, culture, and process, working most closely with UXR and product design throughout the design and development process
- Listen, learn, then assert a well-informed point-of-view about our strategic product direction
- Use empathy, logic, best practices, technical acumen, and data to inform content choices and recommendations
- Become a trusted partner by communicating and demonstrating the value of content design, and by delivering insights that demonstrable that value
- Manage priorities, facilitate projects, allocate resources, and drive consensus to serve business needs
- Help drive the execution of top-notch UX in a fast-paced, innovative work environment full of passionate experts who get things done
- Make it easy for product designers, product managers, and engineers to track, implement, and maintain UI strings at scale with clear, efficient content governance practices
- Support, inspire, develop, and motivate content designers, while finding opportunities to showcase their work
- 10+ years' experience in content design, UX writing, information architecture, content strategy, copywriting, UX, or a related field
- 5+ years' experience directly managing, mentoring and developing full-time employees
- Experience building a content design team within an established organization – from scratch – through hiring, growing, and retaining top-performing talent
- Experience collaborating with and influencing a vast variety of cross-functional peers and stakeholders (e.g., product managers, data scientists, product designers, researchers, engineers, policy, localization, communications, and marketing)
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Technical Writing, UX, HCI, or equivalent practical experience
- Your own writing portfolio of content that improves on clarity, usability, and feature engagement across the user experience, including: user interface copy, microcopy, user education materials, customer support guides, ontologies and taxonomies, transactional emails, style guides, or product marketing content
- Experience building style guides, voice and tone guides, brand strategies, and language systems
- Experience administering, integrating, and using content management systems
- History of leading at companies like Roblox to define our voice as a platform for multiple audiences (i.e. players, parents, creators, and the community)
- Self-starter who can co-lead projects and initiatives in a fast-paced environment, while adapting when strategy and requirements evolve and change
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.