Dave (Nasdaq: DAVE) is on a mission to build products that level the financial playing field. Our banking app helps millions of members bank, budget, find work, build credit, and access up to $500 advances without paying a fee. With a growing suite of tools and services, we provide a superior banking experience for anyone living paycheck to paycheck. We’re looking for high performers to be part of our journey to bring access to financial opportunity for everyone.
Design is a business differentiator at Dave. We believe that it is our job to deeply understand our members’ needs and experiences so that we can deliver unique, approachable and meaningful solutions that help our members build financial success.
Our dedication to the quality and effectiveness of our products derives from our commitment to creating an impact in our member community. So, we take pride in shipping early and often while also holding a high bar for shipping great products by working closely with our engineering and product counterparts to perfect the product experience. We go to great lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get to both deploy your hard-earned experience and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
We’re seeking a world-class leader with excellent vision, a track record of execution at fast-scaling companies, and a passion to build a team and organizational culture that elevates the design function. You will lead and scale the design team, setting a compelling vision and narrative that inspires your team’s creativity and unlocks their potential. Because of your influence and leadership, design is deeply embedded into our product development process and you and your team partner seamlessly with your counterparts in product management, engineering, and other parts of the business to deliver an exceptional product.
What you'll do:
- Grow the Team - Grow & mentor a high performing, highly engaged team of designers and researchers who deliver superior, superbly developed product experiences at scale.
- Goal Orientation - Evangelize and contribute to product strategy and roadmaps that will help us to achieve our company vision and objectives.
- Member-Centric Design - Inspire a member-centric culture within the team and across the organization, ensuring the design team is representing the wants and needs of Dave’s members and helping to ensure the company is solving real problems for our members.
- Build Cross-functional Relationships - Drive collaboration and innovation, empowering the team to do their best work through coaching and mentorship. Ensure effective communication and collaboration within the team and with partners in Product, Engineering, and across the organization.
- Create a Design Center of Excellence - Centralize and elevate the design bar. Provide hands-on design feedback and design leadership. Oversee concept development, from ideation to execution, aligning with product priorities. Establish, document, and maintain design standards, processes, metrics, methodologies, and appropriate design frameworks.
- Define the Vision for Dave's Customer Experience - Creating a vision for a delightful, intuitive and differentiated customer experience and driving vision that into reality. Beyond the design vision, also partnering with Product, Engineering and Marketing on the overall Dave Northstar vision.
What you'll need:
- 15+ years of relevant experience in design, specifically leading teams for a B2C product or native application.
- 5+ years of management experience leading the full spectrum of a design organization, notably Product designers and UX researchers.
- Ideally you have some experience with scaling growing teams from startup to mid-size and beyond.
- Bachelor's/Master’s degree in Design, UX, Research, HCI, or equivalent.
- Though not required, in addition to the above, an MBA or similar business management degree is ideal.
- A solid understanding of design based on metrics to achieve business objectives. Comfortable with ambiguity and pivoting when needed.
- Experience in Agile frameworks and working teams in squads.
- Proven track record as a highly effective people leader, including:
- Inspiring Quality - A passion for excellence with the ability to inspire others to the highest standards.
- Change Management - Ability to effectively lead the team through change.
- Rhetoric - Ability to communicate with clarity and consistency and provide an appropriate level of transparency on matters that impact team members’ work and ability to be successful.
- EQ - Strong emotional intelligence.
- Presence - Credibility and gravitas to garner the respect and support of the design team, leadership team and other key stakeholders.
- Attracting Talent - Success in attracting and retaining high performing, values aligned team members and creating a team culture where the team can thrive.
- Courage - Confidence to act quickly and decisively when it requires such agility.
- Industry Experience - Though not required, direct fintech experience is preferred
Don’t let imposter syndrome get in your way of an incredible opportunity. We’re looking for people who can help us achieve our mission and vision, not just check off the boxes. If you’re excited about this role, we encourage you to apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Why you’ll love working here:
At Dave, our people are just as important as our product. Our culture is a reflection of our values that guide who we are, how we work, and what we aspire to be. Daves are member centric, helpful, transparent, persistent, and better together. We strive to create an environment where all Daves feel valued, heard, and empowered to do their best work. As a virtual first company, team members can live and work anywhere in the United States, with the exception of Hawaii.
A few of our benefits & perks:
• Opportunity to tackle tough challenges, learn and grow from fellow top talent, and help millions of people reach their personal financial goals
• Flexible hours and virtual first work culture with a home office stipend
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and 80% for your dependents
• Generous paid parental and caregiver leave
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Financial advisor and financial wellness support
• Flexible PTO and generous company holidays, including Juneteenth and Winter Break
• All-company in-person events once or twice a year and virtual events throughout to connect with your team members and leadership team
Dave, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is dedicated to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants and do not discriminate on any basis protected by federal, state, or local law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.