Peloton is seeking a VP, Product Design to help drive the design innovation, iteration, and optimization of all of existing and future Peloton products.
This role leads the Product Design team (which currently includes role-based teams of UX Design, UI Design,, and UX Prototyping) and their respective leaders. The Product Design team at Peloton is responsible for the end-to-end Product Design across all our existing “Engagement” products, including the Peloton Bike and Bike+, Peloton Tread and Tread+, the Peloton Digital App on iOS, Android, Web, and various TV platforms, across global markets and in home, studio, and commercial settings. This team is also responsible for Product Design on new products in development in the Peloton portfolio.
In turn, this role guides the overall vision and standards for Peloton’s software user experience and visual UI design practices.
This role represents the interests of the collective Product Design team at the executive level; defining team structure, budgets, top-level processes, and resourcing plans to achieve Peloton’s overall strategic product goals. It does so in partnership with peer teams and their leaders across other Product teams (Product Management, User Research, Hardware and Industrial Design, Engineering), other Design teams (Brand Creative, Production Design et. al.), and stakeholder teams (Marketing, Legal, Content, et. al.)
This role reports directly to the SVP of Product Software Engineering, Viresh Rustagi.
- Plan and structure a world-class Product Design team.
- Develop a long term resource plan and org structure that reflects the wider organization and business priorities, allocating headcount to respective roles and strategies.
- Own the budget for the Product Design team. Forecast and allocate funds towards teams and areas of investment and team development.
- Establish team leaders (through hiring and promotion) and develop a scalable framework that ensures leadership responsibilities are distributed.
- Build a 5 year vision for the Product Design team, in partnership with the Product Management and Engineering peer leaders.
- Establish overarching Product Design processes and define team roles; promote our guiding philosophies and design beliefs into everything the team does.
- Understand the full picture of all Product Design needs and workstreams to develop a rolling high-level resourcing plan in collaboration with your team leads and Product Design Ops.
- Continuously look for ways to enhance the efficiencies and outputs of individual contributors on the team, through empowerment and direction.
- Develop the Product Design team’s brand within and outside of Peloton.
- Collaborate with other design teams at Peloton to ensure a consistent design language and brand.
- Collaborate with peer leaders across Engineering, Product Management, Hardware, Content, Marketing, and more to support initiatives and continuously work to improve inter-team relationships and process.
- Evangelize the prioritization of Product Design excellence in Peloton’s software; and the importance of user research and testing at every stage and facet of product development.
- Ensure that Peloton’s software products are designed with accessibility and inclusion top of mind; and embed this approach into our design process for scale.
- Has a strong design background exhibiting the execution of contemporary consumer UI and UX on complex products.
- Has a user-centered approach to Product Design; with an emphasis on utilizing user research in the design process.
- Understands design systems and scalable product design.
- Process driven, but flexible to unique scenarios, projects, and personnel.
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time.
- Has a collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others.
- Continually looking to optimize and improve Product Design output.
- Balances direction with empowerment.
- Can lead team members with a variety of working styles
- Quickly adapts to unexpected changes in scale, priorities, and pace.
- A leader in the Product Design space, that can help build the internal and external brand of Peloton design.
- Experienced in planning, building, mentoring, and developing a Product Design team.
- Experienced in designing for accessibility and inclusivity.
- Experienced in working with user researchers, UX designers, UI designers, copywriters, engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution.
- 12+ years of experience in Product Design including:
- Recent experience in a product development setting within a consumer tech and software company.
- 8+ years managing Design teams, including at least 5+ years managing teams of 5 or more.
- A portfolio of relevant Product Design case-studies, executed under your leadership, that conveys an ability to drive large-scale complex multi-disciplinary projects.
- Experience managing a Product Design team that completed projects on:
- Integrated hardware/software consumer products.
- Content/media–based products
- Localized products across international markets.
- Mixed-interaction software applications (touch, remote, mouse and keyboard) and mixed-platform and screen sizes.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
“Together We Go Far” means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce and inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice and inequity in our world, and to promote health and wellbeing for all, from the inside out.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Peloton has a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and customers globally. All employees based in the U.S. and Canada are required to provide proof of vaccination, unless the employee has a Peloton-approved reasonable accommodation or as otherwise required by law.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.