The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB’s Cloud team is looking for a Staff Product Designer with exceptional design and problem-solving skills to join our amazing and diverse Product Design team. As a Staff Product Designer, you will lead high-impact initiatives across our Cloud products to deliver simple and easy-to-use experiences for our developers – with the highest level of craft from concept to execution.
You’re passionate about solving our user problems while being obsessed with the quality of your work. Besides being an outstanding designer, you also love to mentor others.
Staff Product Designer Responsibilities
- Improve the developer experience by piecing together disparate parts of their journey across our products, identifying their problems and unmet needs, and drastically improve their productivity and happiness
- Provide strategic direction and design leadership to solve complex, open-ended problems that improve MongoDB Cloud Platforms products
- Drive the collaboration and build strong partnerships with design, research, product, engineering, and marketing teams in order to collaboratively create, align and execute your vision
- Influence product and design direction through effective storytelling that communicates clear UX vision to stakeholders across products
- Contribute to the design team by mentoring, inspiring other designers, and raising the bar on the quality of design at MongoDB
- Excellent visual design skills and intimate knowledge of common interaction design patterns, components and UX best practices
- Understand technical concepts and lead the design of large, complex initiatives with little oversight
- Think big, and drive design and business goals forward through short-term and long-term roadmaps
- Data-driven. Uses qualitative and quantitative data to iterate on new designs
- Adept at designing, prototyping, testing, implementing, and evaluating user experiences of products
- Ability to elicit ideas from other team members, brainstorm with other team members, and bring the best ideas to life through simple and elegant design solutions
- Collaborative. Must be able to work with members from all functions and strongly advocate for expressing user needs through design
- Demonstrates empathy for the users, teammates, and stakeholders
- User-focused. Cares deeply about the users, their pain points and needs
- Thrives on large, loosely defined user problems and drives the team towards understanding through discovery and prioritization based on user needs
- Can influence others to support user-centered design decisions enthusiastically
- Intellectual curiosity, always asking “How can we improve?”
- Cares deeply about the impact of their work
- Has a positive, resourceful mindset, looking for ways to get things done instead of listing all the potential blockers
- Desires to always improve self, others, and the experience our customers receive
- Demonstrates humility, as the best ideas for product design may often come from others on the team
- Firmly held beliefs are confidently expressed but can change based on new evidence
- 7+ years of experience in a Product Design or UX role
- You have an exceptionally strong portfolio that shows how you tackle complex user problems, research and validate your assumptions and solutions, and showcase the impact of your work
- You’re not afraid of getting technical: No prior developer tools experience is required, but you are excited to learn about databases, developer workflows, and application development
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s fine. There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can grow and does grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you are open and honest where you might need a bit of extra support.
What makes our design team great?
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team, and for the customer
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We use both primary research and user research to make sure our designs are based on facts vs. opinions
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere and that we are the facilitators of great design vs. the sole creators of design
- We give each designer appropriate autonomy and ownership over their designs and encourage everyone to grow and develop their unique strengths
- “Sign-off” is more about providing guidance and helping to fill in gaps vs. command and control, dictatorial design
- We have a strong design feedback culture but are embedded in small teams with engineering and product managers
- We like to have fun
Each person that joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re passionate about technology and this Design team sounds like one you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
We are remote optional through January 10th, 2022 afterwards this role will be in-office in our New York City office long-term.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.