We're looking for a Senior Product Manager who can help us empower our users to leverage open source software with confidence by giving them the tools they need to secure their OSS components and comply with OSS license requirements.
The Composition Analysis group drives customer value by delivering product capabilities across Dependency Scanning and License Compliance. The team is responsible for a key element of securing the software supply chain, and the PM responsible for this charter will have the opportunity to strongly influence the direction of high-interest capabilities such as our Software Bill of Materials, auto-remediation, and dependency proxy.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe deploying your code should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We know there are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab's software composition analysis capabilities. It'll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high-paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
We recommend looking at our company page and the product handbook to get started.
- Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective roadmap to prioritize important features properly
- Take high-level feature proposals and customer problems and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
- Balance new features, improvements, and bugfixes to ensure a high velocity and a stable product
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
- Make sound decisions for your product/stage, building trust, and driving clarity across all teams at GitLab and the community
- Mastery of the competitive and market landscape of their product domain and understanding how this landscape impacts their own product roadmap
- Ability to clearly document ROI or impact for a given action, feature, or prioritization action
- Conduct advanced ROI analysis on investment cases to determine if GitLab should pursue them
- Take an active role in defining the future
- Contribute to the product vision, together with the VP of Product
- Create and maintain a vision for your product area
- Create and maintain the vision for each product category
- Innovate within your product area by proposing ambitious features
- Follow innovation in your product area
- Communicate and evangelize your product vision internally and among the wider community
- Mentors junior or less experienced Product Managers to quickly bring them up to speed and add value
- Represents GitLab as a product and domain expert in front of Industry Analysts, customer visits, industry events/conferences, and other events.
- Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Be the voice of the customer and the subject-matter expert for your group
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
- Manage features and solutions that span multiple stages, and/or benefit other stages
- Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
- Assist Sales, Support, Customer Success, and Marketing as the subject-matter expert for your area
- Talk to customers and engage with the community regularly
- Engage with analysts on briefings and product evaluations
- Work with the entire Product team to share improvements and best practices
- Have a strong presence in customer advisory boards and other customer feedback forums to fully understand customer pain points and how these can be solved in the future
- Ability to present to C-level executives both internally at GitLab and externally to customers and prospects
You are not (solely) responsible for:
- A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
- Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
- Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- Previous product management experience OR previous engineering experience building security/compliance products
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to think like a CEO to drive success of your product area
- Fantastic problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Knowledge of the developer tool space
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, and deployed
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You are living wherever you want
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Strong understanding of DevOps and cloud-native application development
- Bonus points: Significant experience with software composition analysis
- Bonus points: Significant experience with containers and Kubernetes
- Bonus points: Experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: Experience in working with open source projects
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, selected candidates will interview with the Director of Product for the role
- Next, selected candidates will interview with a Product Manager for a Deep Dive
- Next, selected candidates will participate in a panel interview with their Engineering Manager and Product Design counterparts
- Finally, selected candidates will interview with a Senior Director of Product
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.