Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we are yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Video Group
Video group's vision is to be the go-to video playground for everyone. We make it easy but powerful tools for anyone to create any playable format.
The video editor team pushes the boundaries of video creation through simplifying the complexities that come with tradition video editing, led by research. Working collaboratively to build an inspiring vision, we reimagine how users can unleash their full creativity through dynamic content in a way that feels fun and playful.
Check this out 👇 ✨
About the role
You will be responsible for Canva's video editor, the core of video product. This will involve simplifying the complexities that come with video editing capabilities, and reimagining how traditional video editing works.
With millions of users using Canva every day, this is an opportunity to redefine visual and animated communication and have a global impact on the way people create content for all platforms supporting video content.
Video touches almost all parts of Canva's ecosystem since dynamic content and rich media is at the forefront of most visual communication from the workplace, to education, through to social media. In the Video Group, you will quickly become exposed to and have the opportunity to create impact to all moving parts of Canva, working in collaboration with individuals across multiple groups.
Build the best-in-class video editing experience. You'll lead research initiatives and take key findings to inspire new ideas and improve the existing experience.
Strategy & Vision. You'll work closely with the Design Lead and Product Manager to define and articulate the product strategy and vision for the video space.
Develop the product features. You'll impact millions of users by improving and evolving the editor, the heart of our product.
Iterate. You'll gather learnings to iterate through the use of research and data—we have a close relationship with our users which enables us to unearth valuable insights to improve their experience.
The skills & experience that we are looking for
- Experience conducting user research and usability testing. You're skilled in turning the outcomes into data to drive your design solutions.
- Video editing enthusiast: You are a designer that enjoys making videos or animations in your spare time, perhaps you have a Youtube Channel or love injecting motion into your prototypes.
- Interaction Design Experience. You're able to use the appropriate prototyping tools to demonstrate how a particular flow or interaction will work
- You excel in UI Design. You're driven to create strong visual designs that align with brand and design systems.
- Problem-first mindset. You're obsessed with identifying gaps/opportunities and enjoy deeply investigating ambiguous problems.
- End-to-end Product Design Experience. You've designed and shipped multiple products or features across various platforms.
- Highly Collaborative Approach. You're happiest when working closely with other Designers, Engineers and Product Managers. You value feedback and brainstorming ideas.
Goals that you will achieve
- Meeting teams and building up relationships within your team and different parts of the business.
- Understanding the Canva product, our video offering, and how video contributes to the Canva strategy and within the product.
- Working with data and research to understand our users and identify opportunities for product improvements, particularly around dynamic content and rich media.
- Empowering anyone in the world to create video content through shipping improvements across the video editor, and addressing key pain points and needs.
- Working with your team and across the Design Experience supergroup to identify key opportunities to remain competitive within the evolving market, and innovate in the video editing space.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home).
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.