The Role : It’s an amazing time to be joining Netflix as we continue to transform entertainment around the world. We deliver billions of hours of movies and TV shows per month to more than 200 million members in over 190 countries. We are creating original content at an unprecedented scale, and have become the largest studio in the world.
Studio Algorithms sits at the intersection of Consumer Experience and the Netflix Studio. We are aiming to upscale the global pitch-to-play pipeline of our content with AI (such as computer vision, machine learning, and computer graphics algorithms). We lead algorithm-centered innovation projects but also partner across the company to scale Netflix Studio, improve our content’s creative excellence, and innovate the way storytellers and creative artists work. We influence, educate, and advocate on tactical product decisions as well as the strategic directions to enable the next slate of great product innovations in this space.
As Product Manager for Globalization and Copy Algorithms, you will be part of the Studio Algorithms team and work closely with a team of world-class scientists, researchers, and engineers, global and regional business stakeholders, and other Studio product management, design, consumer insights, and operational talents to build algo-driven or assisted artist tools, and improve the effectiveness of creative copy and language assets such as dubs and subs. In success, these tools will be intuitive to use and partially automate repetitive tasks while giving artists control over the output; thus allowing them to focus on the more creative aspects of their work. They will also be able to leverage past data and insights along with our personalization systems to empower better creative decisions and produce and distribute more effective copy and language assets to help our members and prospective members discover and enjoy our brand and titles.
A successful candidate will combine a deep technical background in e.g. computer vision, natural language processing, and machine learning, with a strong product sense, exceptional cross-functional leadership and communication skills, a hypothesis-driven mentality, sharp business acumen, creativity and courage to look at problems in new ways, to define, inspire, explain, and execute his/her vision.
What will you do?
- Craft and communicate a strategic vision and roadmap in building products and tools powered by computer vision, natural language processing, and machine learning to increase writers, linguists, and dubbing experts’ productivity and allow them to focus on the creative aspects of their work, as well as improve the performance and effectiveness of creative outcomes.
- Partner closely with business stakeholders and relevant product and engineering teams to integrate work outputs into the content and copy/language asset production workflows.
- Work with senior management and executives to develop the vision for a data-driven Netflix Studio.
- Partner with the algorithm research team to point them toward business problems that could be well-solved through advancements in the state-of-the-art and then manage the “technology transfer” from the resulting work into new products and tools.
- Be an advocate for new technologies with creators and an advocate for creator experience with scientists and engineers working.
- Connect advances in computer vision, natural language processing, and machine learning with opportunities to solve new problems in this space. Foster an inclusive environment, where all viewpoints are welcomed and encouraged.
- Think broadly about the Netflix business and contribute to efforts beyond your domain.
What we offer
- Opportunity to impact the business in a meaningful way. The Netflix product management model is different from most technology companies. Our key product management leaders - including this position - work with multiple sprint teams but do not have direct reports. Consequently, we’re looking for experienced product leaders who are strategic and also like rolling up their sleeves.
- Responsibility. Netflix offers true transparency and autonomy. Our culture is unique and is key to how we innovate.
- Freedom to innovate, solve interesting problems and influence in a fast paced, exciting environment.
- Work with smart people who love to solve hard problems, and who not only expect but also foster high performance.
- A work environment where you can grow your career. Many of our top execs started out as individual contributors.
What are we looking for?
- Proven record of successfully building and launching great products or platforms that have a significant algorithmic component and strategic ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm development.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated leadership working effectively with data scientists, algorithm engineers, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present technical content to diverse non-technical audiences.
- Ability to partner with people from different parts of the company, in roles with grey areas in authority, to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact.
- Ability to prioritize well, manage a portfolio of bigger and smaller bets while balancing short-term goals and long-term vision.
- 4+ years experience in product management with a proven record of successfully launching products, or platforms. Preferably with experience leading enterprise or studio products.
- Proven track record of technical product innovation, identifying new opportunities and building them to scale.
- 4+ years of education and/or industry experience in an area related to computer vision/graphics, natural language process, and machine learning.
- Post graduate education (MS or PhD) in a applied quantitative field such as : Machine learning, Computer Science, Operations Research, Math, Physics, Engineering, Economics or Statistics
- Exposure to the entertainment industry, globalization and dubbing, or related products and solutions in the past is a huge plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.