Who we are:
Fivestars helps local businesses grow by turning their credit card reader into an all-in-one payments and automated marketing program. Our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. Since launching in 2011, Fivestars has become a robust national commerce network, with 70 million users discovering and driving sales to 12,000+ small businesses. We help drive over 100 million transactions and $3 billion in local merchant sales annually. More than 1 million people sign up monthly to support the local businesses that make our neighborhoods great.
In Oct 2021, Fivestars was acquired by SumUp – a financial technology company that allows businesses of all sizes to receive payments quickly and simply, both in-store and online. Named as Europe’s fastest-growing company in the Inc. 5000, SumUp supports over 3 million merchants globally and operates in 34 markets across Europe, the U.S., Brazil and Chile. With its card terminals and online services relied upon by businesses of all sizes from DHL to black cab drivers – SumUp is the partner of choice for small businesses from every walk of life.
Who you are:
You want to EMPOWER small businesses to thrive in a marketplace built for large corporations. You are obsessed with looking for opportunities to solve problems in unique and innovative ways and you want to design products that touch millions of consumers and thousands of merchants.
Our research team drives innovative payment processing and loyalty solutions for merchant businesses at scale. We cultivate and admire creative thinkers that push the boundaries beyond what is possible. We’re looking for a strong Lead User Research Manager who enjoys close collaboration with Product, Engineers, Analytics, and Design, and Marketing, and QA to craft ground-breaking product solutions in the payments space. You’ll be joining and fostering a culture of hands-on making, testing and collaborative learning.
Our Lead User Research Manager will:
- Report to Director of Design & Research and collaborate with cross-functional peers (Product Management, Designers, Analytics, QA, and Engineering)
- Take on projects through analysis, synthesis and evaluation to communicate key takeaways
- Manage multiple projects and 3 reports
- Work closely with cross functional teams and facilitate best research practices
- Anticipates research needs to understand the user and influence product decisions
- Drives all stages of research process - methodology, resourcing, facilitating, documentation, analysis, and distribution of findings and actionable insights
- Communicate key research findings to the product team and broader organization
- Identifying business opportunities and escalating risks
- Build strong relationships with SumUp research team
- Manager multiple projects and 3 reports
- Conduct research on-site and remote research studies
- Be a research evangelist, advocating for data-driven decisions throughout the broader org
Who we're looking for someone with:
- You have 7-10 years of product experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Marketing, Sociology, Anthropology, or other related field
- Qualitative and quantitative research experience
- Statistics and data analysis experience
- Product design and managerial experience
- Experience with research tools (Usertesting, SurveyMonkey, Qualtrics, SQL, and R/SPSS)
- Research experience includes: A/B testing, concept testing, surveys, ethnographic field research, in-depth interviews, usability testing, heuristic evaluations, etc.
- You demonstrate research best practices and can mitigate research bias
- Experience budgeting time and resources
- Ability to work with in-house and remote teams (U.S., Germany, France, Argentina, Brazil)
- Creating reports and research presentation decks
Nice to have:
- B2B, B2C, Payments experience
- Marketing research experience
- Writing articles on product and research
- Data Science experience
- Story-telling experience
Benefits & More:
- 4 weeks of annual PTO plus 10 paid holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits, along with too many to list!
- Career Coaching & Development
- 401(K) Retirement Plan and Paid Parental leave
- Benefits that holistically support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or other applicable protected categories. In addition to federal law requirements, Fivestars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Application Tip
We recognise that candidates feel they need to meet 100% of the job criteria in order to apply for a job. Please note that this is only a guide. If you don’t tick every box, it’s ok too because it means you have room to learn and develop your career at SumUp.