We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Education Group
The Education Product Team is on a mission to empower creativity in every learner. We want to make Canva the tool that every team big and small wants to use to collaborate and communicate every day - from the classroom to the workplace.
As a content designer joining the team, you’ll help drive us towards making Canva the go-to product in every school. We’re looking for someone passionate about educational experiences to spearhead fantastic content initiatives. You’ll partner with our strong design leadership and be closely connected to our users, with a focus on research and tackling real-world problems.
About the Content Design Sub-specialty
We're on a mission to help our users fulfill their goals with clarity and joy.
We’re looking to achieve this by building an amazing team with a culture of clear and crisp writing. Our focus is on systems, not just sentences. We create and improve flows, not just the words. We seek to have deep impact on key areas, not just shallow impact everywhere.
Content Design is a small and growing part of our Design specialty. Canva sees content as a crucial part of its ongoing success – and we’re really focused on improving our content experience. We have a fun, human voice that we want to do a better job of getting across to our users, instead of, you know, “generic UX writing” voice.
We’re passionate about working together to create the future of Content Design at Canva; it’s not a top-down approach. Your opinion matters! You’ll also get lots of support from the diverse content team across the business. As soon as you arrive, we’ll be saying “Thank goodness you’re here!”
The content design specialty collaborates closely with PMs, Designers, Engineers and Design Researchers to identify solutions that prioritize our users’ needs.
Goals You'll Achieve
- Goal #1 Audit the Education experience for consistency and identify content opportunities
- Goal #2 Overhaul our Classwork product, reshaping the experience with a focus on naming and strategy contributions
- Goal #3 Improve onboarding for both teachers and students, creating the simplest pathways and making friendly, globally accessible solutions
- Goal #4 Help scale existing products to help teachers, focusing on creative feedback loops and lesson planning
- Goal #5 Improve and align content around connected Learning Management Systems
- Goal #6 Build and shape the Education space, including tone of voice, narrative and strategy.
What you'll do:
- Content design: You’ll use your writing skills and User Experience principles to craft UX copy that helps Canva users to collaborate and learn without the headaches. You’ll also work with the rest of the Content Design team to solve problems we’re all facing, so we can continue to build a robust, thriving specialty.
- Product building: You’re looking to own and shape what Education can be at Canva. Shaping foundational work such as tone of voice, leading content research, and shaping the direction of the product.
- Results: Your frictionless and friendly copy isn’t just for show – it’ll move the needle on the metrics that matter at Canva.
- Collaboration: You’ll bring design, PMs, engineers and researchers together to find the best solutions for our users.
What we’re looking for
- You’re a senior Content Designer who’s got a proven track record of solving complex problems. This means you have at least 3-5 years of content design or UX writing experience.
- Experience in the Education sector or Tech/SaaS preferred. We’re looking for someone with a true passion for education and helping students achieve their best. Bonus if you’ve worked on both individual and enterprise products.
- You have incredible writing chops and an impressive content design portfolio, and are a stickler for brand voice, consistency and style.
- You have experience in utilizing research to make content decisions, including copy testing.
- You know how to work independently, but you also love collaborating with people. from different disciplines and sharing the power of content design.
- You're just as comfortable ideating over Zoom as you are in-person. You don’t mind a good Slack chat either.
- You’ve got a good balance between big-picture thinking and nailing the details.
- You’re not afraid of complex problems – in fact, that’s where you thrive.
- You know how to get buy-in from key stakeholders. You’ve got a track record of bringing people on the journey with you – they know what’s changing and why.
- You like to move quickly, and aren’t afraid of fast growth and rapid change. Canva is growing faster than you can imagine – which means solutions that worked 6 months ago might break. You’re up for that challenge.
- You know how to prioritize ruthlessly and handle responsibilities for a wide number of projects – focusing your attention on the areas that matter most.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst – We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team – check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.